403 Forbidden for ISPConfig Admin Pages

Discussion in 'General' started by tazmon95, Jun 22, 2008.

1. tazmon95

tazmon95 New Member

Hello,

I recently just had a major issue develop with one of my servers. When I try to access the admin panel, I'm getting a 403 Forbidden error. I've spent hours searching for help on how to fix this and after trying everything short of re-installing ISPConfig, nothing has helped.

If anyone can help me sort this out, it would be MUCH appreciated.

About the only thing I've found that doesn't look like it's setup the way it should be is.
    showing up in the apache error logs many times.

Thanks
    ~Taz

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. tazmon95

tazmon95 New Member

Hi Till,

Thanks for the fast reply. I've looked at the link you posted and I am having a hard time understanding which part of it deals with the error in the logs.

Also I've looked at the log location you posted and here's a section of what I'm seeing.

I see lots of client denied errors in it but have no idea what is causing it.

Thanks,
    Taz

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Did you modify /root/ispconfig/httpd/conf/httpd.conf, or did you place an .htaccess file in /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/web?
    What's the output of
    Code:
    ls -la /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/web
    ?

5. tazmon95

tazmon95 New Member

Falko,

Thanks for the help, I took a look in the root/ispconfig/httpd/conf file and found.
    Code:
    <Directory "/home/admispconfig/ispconfig/web">

#
    # This may also be "None", "All", or any combination of "Indexes",
    # "Includes", "FollowSymLinks", "ExecCGI", or "MultiViews".
    #
    # Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
    # doesn't give it to you.
    #
        Options FollowSymLinks MultiViews

#
    # This controls which options the .htaccess files in directories can
    # override. Can also be "All", or any combination of "Options", "FileInfo",
    # "AuthConfig", and "Limit"
    #
        AllowOverride All

#
    # Controls who can get stuff from this server.
    #
        Order allow,deny
        [b]Deny[/b] from all
    </Directory>

I thought the deny looked a little odd and changed it to Allow and now I can access the admin area again. The only thing that concerns me is that I don't remember changing it but I might have while frustrated with trying to get Magento working in ISPConfig. Is this a security risk to leave set at "Allow"?

As far as funning ls -la there is no .htaccess file in any of the ispconfig directories... I've searched all of them.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

~Taz

6. till

No.

You should never touch this config file. It is not related to hosting of the websites on your server!

Not funny, ISPConfig does not use any .htaccess file in this directory ;) Falko just asked in case if you created one there.

7. tazmon95

tazmon95 New Member

Till,

Thanks for the explanations... I must have made that change then when I was struggling to get Magento up and running on ISPConfig... and failed. It requires a newer version of PHP than my ISPConfig had on it.

Again thanks, both you and Falko pointed me in the right direction.

~Taz

8. zosorock

zosorock New Member

Was this on Apache 2.2? Because I have just installed ISPConfig on my Debain Lenny and I keep getting that error ("client denied by server configuration: /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/web/") even though before I installed apache was running and serving pages normally. I actually uninstalled ispCP and installed ISPConfig to try it out.

Anyway, I check the Directives in the .vhost files, changed like you did and tried pretty much any other variation I could think of. Right now I cannot make Apache serve a single page of any kind and I have been hacking at it for 5 hours :(

Any help is much appreciated. Ah btw I am running the 3.0.1.1

Fabiano

9. till

This thraed is about ISPConfig 2 and not 3, ISPConfig 3 is a total different software which uses a different setup so you can not use any solutions from ispconfig 2.