42go dead?

Discussion in 'General' started by Keeze, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Keeze

Keeze New Member

Hello,

I am a 42go user, but I get the feeling 42go is not supported anymore. Questions on the 42go-forum are not answered anymore.

I get the feeling this project is more alive than 42go, for which I had to pay (not very much, but though).

Is switching to ISPConfig a smart move, and if so, how about developing a migrationtool.

Kees (A somewhat disapointed 42go user)

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Kees,

42go and ISPConfig share the same codebase, ISPConfig is the successor of 42go and developed by the same poeple and the development is funded by the company that developed 42go too.

42go is still maintained with bugfixes and antivirus updates as you can see on the projektfarm homepage. The 42go forum is closed due to massive spam problems.

Till

3. Keeze

Keeze New Member

Till,

I already understood that ISPConfig is the successor of 42go. That is why I wondered if it is a good idea to switch to ISPConfig. I read some threads about this issue, including the tread about moving from 42go to ISPConfig. This person did it while deploing a new server.

I think it would be a great gesture to offer existing customers a migrationtool, or (payed) migrationservice.

About the 42go forums, they are still open and I can still post on them. Now I know why there are no relies. Perhaps you have to physicaly close them and open a 42go-supportthread over here.

Kees

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

We are working on a migration path and please dont forget that 42goISP is still actively maintained.

The are Open so that all current customers can use them. If you want to get a answer from the 42go support team, please send them a email. The forum has never been the official way to get support for 42go customers.

5. Keeze

Keeze New Member

Till, any progression on the "migration path" statement?

Kees

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Migration works as follows (I've tested this myself):
    Set up a new system and install an empty ISPConfig on it. Then copy over the files that are mentioned in this post: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16488&postcount=2
    Then replace the ISPConfig database with the old 42goISP database and install ISPConfig again so that it performs an update to the 42goISP database.
    Copy over the MySQL databases from the old system; add the records from the old server that are missing in the new mysql/db and mysql/user tables, then restart MySQL.
    Finally, create a user adm42go (with a user ID smaller than 10000) and create an alias in /etc/aliases:
    Code:
    adm42go: admispconfig
    Run
    Code:
    newaliases
    and restart Postfix.
    If the IP address has changed, take a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2760

7. Keeze

Keeze New Member

Tnx Falco,

Migration cannot be preformed on an exising system? I have to deploy a new server?

Regards,
    Kees

8. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I haven't tried this on an existing system. You could try to create symlinks from /home/adm42go to /home/admispconfig and from /root/42goisp to /root/ispconfig and then install ISPConfig. But back up your 42go installation before you do this!