500 internal error if files has write permission in the group

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Thomas Jensen, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Thomas Jensen

Thomas Jensen New Member

Hi,

I have a PHP site, which allows me to upload pictures.
    There's no trouble uploading the file, but the the file permissions on the picture is not "read by all groups", and the result is that i can't view the file in a browser.
    My first thought was the give the uploading PHP file permissions to write, but when i do that, i get an internal error 500.

It's running in suPHP.

2. Thomas Jensen

Thomas Jensen New Member

Please, anybody?

3. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

what does your apache error log tell you when you get the 500 error?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This is one of the security mechanisms of suphp, you can change this in the suphp.conf file.

5. Thomas Jensen

Thomas Jensen New Member

Okay, where do i find it?

6. till

Almost all linux config files are in /etc. As the program is named suphp, you will find the file in the directory /etc/suphp/

And in case that you dont find a file on your server, just use the command locate. E.g.:

locate suphp.conf

7. Thomas Jensen

Thomas Jensen New Member

Found it, thanks, but:

server1:/# locate suphp.conf
    -bash: locate: command not found

The images is still only given read and write permissions for owner, and can't be viewed in the browser :(

8. till

Then this is a problem with your image upload script as the permissions of the file are set by the php script that uploads the file.

9. Thomas Jensen

Thomas Jensen New Member

I use the same script which worked on another server, I've given the file chmod 777. It's a standard PHP (move_uploaded_file) script :/

10. till

Your problem is not the permissions of the upload script, your problem is that the upload script sets wrong permissions for the uploaded image file. Your upload script must contain a chmod command to set the permissions of the uploadedc image file correctly.

11. Thomas Jensen

Thomas Jensen New Member

Okay, I've never done that before, why is it suddenly required? And how do i do it?
    thanks

12. Thomas Jensen

Thomas Jensen New Member

I've changed to modPHP and now everything seems to work fine. But it still bothers me why it won't automatically do the file permissions in suPHP..

13. Thomas Jensen

Thomas Jensen New Member

14. till

If you select to overwrite the config files during setup then all config files that had been configured during initial setup will be overwritten.