500 - Internal Server Error

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by conductive, Nov 2, 2020.

1. conductive

conductive Member HowtoForge Supporter

I am running ispconfig with Nginx on Debian 9.1.3.
    I had a crash and had to run fsck to via KVM to get the OS back and am still getting a 500 Internal server error on webpages and can't access IspConfig.

cat /var/log/nginx/error.log
    2020/11/01 17:37:36 [error] 1284#1284: *1309 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Warning: mysqli_real_connect(): (HY000/2002): No such file or directory in /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/lib/classes/db_mysql.inc.php on line 85
    PHP message: PHP Warning: mysqli_real_connect(): (HY000/2002): No such file or directory in /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/lib/classes/db_mysql.inc.php on line 91
    PHP message: PHP Warning: mysqli_real_connect(): (HY000/2002): No such file or directory in /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/lib/classes/db_mysql.inc.php on line 91
    PHP message: PHP Warning: mysqli_real_connect(): (HY000/2002): No such file or directory in /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/lib/classes/db_mysql.inc.php on line 85
    PHP messa
    2020/11/01 17:48:05 [error] 1287#1287: *1514 directory index of "/var/www/apps/" is forbidden, client: 185.172.111.197, server: _, request: "HEAD / HTTP/1.0"

I am not sure how to recover from this crash. Do I reinstall ISP config or??
    This is not the first time this has happened on this server.
    https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/error-500-internal-server-error.83728/
    The server load is typically quite low.

Thanks for your help

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

What kind of crash? What is the filesystem on the affected partition?
    Forcing ISPConfig update might write the ISPConfig files back on your disk. That might help. You wrote
    but that can not be your Debian version. Do you know what ISPConfig version is on that disk?

3. conductive

Thanks for the reply.

I guess crashes can be a little vague so all I can do its explain what happened.

I was having problems with Google SEO and canonical domain names so I started playing around with alias domain names. I started seeing problems with the DNS where many different sites pointed to a went to a single site. Eventually I could not access any pages or ISP config and would get a 500 error. I was able to ssh into the system and perform an update but after a reboot or other I ended up losing the ability to ssh into the server. I had the host set up a KVM and I was able to fsck /dev/mapper/pc--vg-root (ext4) and am now able to ssh into the server but still get 500 errors.

The Debian version is 9.13

I am not sure but I believe that I am still running IspConfig 3.1

4. conductive

I attempted to do an update form Ispconfig3.1 to 3.2 and it failed.

Unable to connect to mysql server No such file or directory
    MySQL root password [XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX]:

5. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Did you have a reason for doing that?
    Did you follow the instructions for updating ISPConfig 3.1 to 3.2?

6. conductive

I did not have a better solution and ...
    "Forcing ISPConfig update might write the ISPConfig files back on your disk. That might help."
    Yes I followed the instructions and updated the proper applications first.

7. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Is mysqld running? You might have to repair tables in order to start it up.

conductive likes this.
  8. conductive

Thanks for the reply...good call ... yes this appears to be a problem
    root@mr1:~# service mysqld status

● mariadb.service - MariaDB 10.1.47 database server
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mariadb.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/mysql.service.d
    └─limits.conf
    Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: signal) since Mon 2020-11-02 14:21:48 CST; 2s ago
    Docs: man:mysqld(8)
    https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/systemd/
    Process: 2145 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/mysqld $MYSQLD_OPTS $_WSREP_NEW_CLUSTER $_WSREP_START_POSITION (code=killed, signal=ABRT)
    Process: 2067 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c [ ! -e /usr/bin/galera_recovery ] && VAR= || VAR=`cd /usr/bin/..; /usr/bin/galera_recovery`; [ $? -eq 0 ] && sys
    Process: 2063 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c systemctl unset-environment _WSREP_START_POSITION (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 2060 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/install -m 755 -o mysql -g root -d /var/run/mysqld (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Main PID: 2145 (code=killed, signal=ABRT)

Nov 02 14:21:48 mr1 systemd[1]: mariadb.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Nov 02 14:21:48 mr1 systemd[1]: mariadb.service: Failed with result 'signal'.

9. conductive

Any repair suggestions? This had many word press sites. There are many databases and tables.

10. Jesse Norell

Looks like you're using Galera? I'm not familiar with Galera myself, but a quick web search finds some info.

11. conductive

I am not sure what the best approach is.

root@mr1:~# mysql
    ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2 "No such file or directory")

12. conductive

root@mr1:/etc/mysql# mysqlcheck --auto-repair -o --all-databases -uroot -pXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    mysqlcheck: Got error: 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2 "No such file or directory") when trying to connect

**** Edit *****
    mariadb is installed
    root@mr1:~# dpkg -s mariadb-server
    Package: mariadb-server

Any suggestions comments or other?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  13. conductive

Do I need to add/generate a mysqld.sock ???
    What would be the best approach here??

14. Jesse Norell

No, the socket will be created by the db server (or possibly by systemd or similar) when it starts up.

I believe this is the key phrase to search for a solution:
    However, this makes me wonder if you're running Galera or not:
    The steps to recover with Galera may or may not be different, I don't know.

15. conductive

16. Jesse Norell

17. conductive

I made a copy of the directory and used the procedure in the link provided. I had reasonable results as I was able to get ISP Config working and some of the websites. However I was not able to recover WordPress sites without a backup. The databases existed but the tables were empty or had issues.

I attempted to run the procedure again with my backups and completely messed the database and ISP config.
    Code:
    service mysqld start
    Job for mariadb.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
    See "systemctl status mariadb.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

Unless somebody has a good Idea on how to recover I feel that this one is toast.

I would like to recover a few tar files but can not get them with FileZilla

Code:
    Command:   PASS *********************
    Response:   530 Login authentication failed
    Error:   Critical error: Could not connect to server

Any suggestions as how to get ftp working?

Thanks

18. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The FTP login is in MySQL, so it can't work when the database is down. Connect to the server by ssh instead and use a ssh file transfer client like winscp.