503 error

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by DrMartinus, Jun 27, 2019.

1. DrMartinus

DrMartinus Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,

I get a 503 error when trying to access my webpage, even though everything seems fine. My service provider said that some service on my system has not been started, but I can't find anything.
    Apache log says "Cannot serve directory /var/www/html/: No matching DirectoryIndex..." every fife minutes, every time there is a higher port number added to the localdomain-IP-address (like: 127.0.0.1:34252, 127.0.0.1: 24308 and so on...).

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This is not related to your problem.

Please take a look into the error.log file and access.log file of the website, not the global apache log to find out which problem your website has.

3. DrMartinus

Of course... well, it says in the error log:
    Code:
    [proxy:error] [pid xxxxx] (111)Connection refused: AH02454: FCGI: attempt to cennext to Unix domain socket /var/lib/php5-fpm/web2.sock (*) failed
    [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid xxxxx] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:64814] AH01079: failed to make connection to backend: httpd_UDS
    These two error lines are repeating again and again, where it says "xxx" there are changing numbers, also the ports change after the IP addresses, but I put in one of the many here.
    In the access log I find a lot of accesses by SemrushBot, but nothing really suspicious...

4. till

Seems as if the php-fpm daemon is not running. Try switching PHP mode to php-fcgi in the ispconfig website settings, wait 2 minutes and if this works, leave it at this mode or try to switch back to php-fpm, wait 2 minutes and test if it works again then.

5. DrMartinus

Thank you for this hint. I set it to "Fast-CGI" (I didn't find php-fcgi) and with that it works. If I change back to php-fpm, it gives the 503 error.
    Code:
    systemctl list-unit-files
    says that php-fpm.service is enabled. So I wonder what causes these problems...
    I just ran
    Code:
    systemctl status php-fpm
    , and it said it's inactive. Restarting it made the status active. After that, I could also change it back to php-fpm.
    How is that possible?

6. till

It might be that php-fpm was not started at the time you installed ISPconfig, in that case, it stays unstarted as ISPConfig reloads php-fpm on config changes and a reload of the daemon will not start it in case it was not started already.