A copy of Fedora Core 6 that actually works?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Ordinary12, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Ordinary12

Ordinary12 New Member

Is this possible? I've wasted two sets of cd's on bad copies of Fedora Core 6 and I've yet to find any site with a version that I can use. I've posted on the forum several times asking for help but no one ever replies with an answer I can use. I have a DVD copy of the program and have attempted to install it on several different computers with no success. I've done the same with cd copies I downloaded from different University mirrors. No one seems to have a working copy. I've been reading so many good things about Fedora but the biggest flaw I've found so far is that it doesn't seem to exist.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Hi, I never had the problems with downloads that you described. How did you download the CD images, with FTP, http or do you use some kind of download accelerator or bittorrent?

Have you checked the downloaded iso images with md5 if they where downloaded correctly before you burn them on CD?

3. futureboy

futureboy New Member

Possible problem

The most common error that I see is people not reading the directions and just dropping an .iso file onto a DVD or CD. You can't do it that way. If you open your CD or DVD on your computer and see one file called <something>.iso, you've done it wrong. Your error report was not very useful, but if your DVD doesn't boot at all, that's a sure indication that you've burned it wrong.

As the previous poster suggested, you should first verify your download with an MD5 sum checker to see if your download went correctly.

An ISO file is a special image which has special information about the exact layout of all the files on the disc. You need to burn the CD/DVD in a special way to reproduce this structure and make it bootable. In a Windows program like Nero, you have to choose something like "burn CD from image" and select the ISO file as the image file.

This page has a list of (somewhat outdated) methods of correctly burning a CD/DVD from an ISO image:
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/getting-started-guide/s1-disks-cdrw.html