A few questions about ISPConfig

Discussion in 'General' started by melwood, Jun 13, 2007.

1. melwood

melwood ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Hi,

first of all thanks a lot for ISPConfig! And thanks a lot for the great tutorials!

I'm coming from confixx and like so many befor I have a few problems understanding the web-user concept. So here are a few questions, maybe someone could help me a little:

1.) If I want to create an ftp-account or an e-mail account I have to create a new web-user. The login for both is the same. Right?
    2.) Is there a way to create only an ftp-account but no e-mail account? or the other way arround?
    3.) If I create a new web-user, that is not an admin, he can only access his home-directory. But how can I set up an ftp-account which is restricted to another directory?

And one other question:

I can manage the nameserver entries of my domains at my registra. I have have configured them so all is sent to my server.

Do I still have to use the options "Create DNS" and/or "Create DNS-MX"?

melwood

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

1) yes.
    2) Yes, but not with the current stable versions. This function has been introduced with the ISPConfig 2.3.2 development version.
    3) You can't.

No.

3. melwood

Are there any plans to change this in a future version?

melwood

PS: Is there a work around for this? I really need one or two ftp-users with access to a different directory...

4. mlz

mlz Member

You could always add a couple of system users (uid < 10000) and point those at the specific directories. Sounds like you have a couple of special users that need it. If you needed it for every domain it might be more of a problem.

5. till

We plan to add this in ISPConfig 3.

6. melwood

Good idea, I know, this is not a ISPConfig related question, but I'm not that experienced with the ftp-deamon and I don't want to ruin my running system.

Can someone please explain how to set up such a special user without interferring with ISPConfig.

melwood

7. till

You can add a user with the command useradd like this:

useradd -u 2000 -p mysecretpassword newusername

2000 is the userid of the new user, please make sure that it does not exist yet in /etc/passwd and that it is < 10000

mysecretpassword is the password and newusername is the username of the new user that shall be created.

Then add the new username to the file /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/users in a new line, this prevents that the user is overwritten by ISPConfig.

8. melwood

Okay thanks, does this user automaticly has an ftp-login? If so, how can I set his ftp-root directory to an empty directory on the server?

melwood

9. till

Add the switch:

-d /path/to/home/directory

useradd -u 2000 -p mysecretpassword -d /path/to/home/directory newusername

10. AngelDrago

AngelDrago Member

hey guys how to you remove this useradd -u 2000 afterwards...

11. jnsc

jnsc rotaredoM Moderator

userdel myNewUsername