A few questions on client's modules and limits

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by dimas, Jan 9, 2011.

1. dimas

dimas Member

Please kindly answer two questions regarding ISPConfig 3 setup.

1. Is it possible to safely change the modules shown to clients? For example, I don't want to let some clients change (or even see, for that matter) the DNS settings. I know there's a System --> CP Users section where I can theoretically do this, but there's a warning about a possible data loss, and also the manual (which I downloaded by becoming a subscriber) says that this section is for admin users only.

2. I made an error of judgement when setting up the server - sadly I created all the clients' web sites etc while logged in as admin (obviously I should have done so by logging in as the clients themselves), and now I have a mess with limits and quotas, because the client's limits and quotas (that is, limits and quotas that were set by me when creating the clients) do not work for the entries created by admin. (I found this out too late - well, I was thinking that it was enough to just assign a web site etc to the client to make the limits work...)

So the question is - is it possible somehow to change the ownership of all these records from admin to the corresponding client? (Deleting and recreating the records is, sadly, not an option, because it's a production server, and there's 150+ sites there already).

2. Davide

Davide Member

AFAIK you can enable/disable modules from System --> CP Users, with no problem at all
    The warning is about changing username/password/groups
    Please, someone tell me if I'm wrong

You don't have to change ownership. It's even better to create sites as admin, that way your users won't be able to change things.
    Simply change site quotas as admin, that's all.

Client's quotas/limits is about the client capacity of creating/changing things. If you don't want your client to modify his site, you must create it as admin.

Of course, this is a problem if your client is a reseller. In this case, you must create reseller with *CUSTOM* template, and make all other changes login in ispconfig3 as reseller.

3. dimas

dimas Member

Thank you for your reply,

as for 1) - hopefully it's all right, but I'll also highly appreciate an answer from one of the developers of ISPConfig, because it's a production server I'm talking about, and I am a little bit nervous about making experiments.

as for 2) - in some cases I have a situation when, say, three sites belong to a client. I have allocated, say, 1 gb for all these sites totally. I want the client to be able to split this 1 gig of hdd space among his 3 sites. In the current setup (as explained in my first post) it's not possible because the client can't change each site's limits imposed by admin. So best of all for me is to allocate some total hdd space for CLIENT - and let him manage the rest.

That's why I'm wondering if it's possible to change ownership without recreating everything from scratch.

4. Davide

Davide Member

You're right. I was thinking only on clients with only one site configured.

If I think of it, one never knows when a client will buy another site, and then your idea of changing permissions is really usefull (and necessary)

Does someone know if is it possible to change a site's ownership?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Select the new client in the client select field of the site and click on save.

A client is a virtual construct inside of ispconfig, it does not exist in Linux.

6. Davide

Davide Member

Till
    Is this enogh to apply client's limits on site, or if you created it as admin client's limits won't apply?
    I think this is what dimas is trying to ask

Also, is it safe to change a client modules from system->cp users->edit users?

7. till

Client limits get always applied to the site. So if you have set a limit of 100 mb webspace in the client settings and you try to create a website with 150MB as that client, you will get an error in the interface and the site will not get created until the limit iof that site is <= the free limt. free limit is client limit - sum of limits for all other sites created for that client.

Yes.

8. dimas

dimas Member

Thank you for your replies.

Till, I understand what you wrote about clients and limits, my question is about a slightly different matter.

My problem is that I created all the sites and records on my server while logged in as admin (and that's a lot of sites and records). Yes, I did assign each site and record to the client it belonged to - but the problem is that if I log in as a client now, I see all the sites and records that I should see as a client, but I can't change anything.

It's OK when it comes to some global values - like total disk space assigned to a client - that indeed should be set by admin and there's no need to let the client change it (of course!).

But, as I said earlier, there are situations (like when a client has several sites) when a client needs to change each site's hdd quota WITHIN the total hdd quota limit imposed by admin. Like, if it's two sites and one gig totally, from 500 mb / 500 mb to 700 mb / 300 mb, if the client realises that his first site needs more space, and that his second site turns out to be a small one.

It would have been easy if I had created the sites while logged in as a client. But as I said - unfortunately I did this as admin, and so basically now I'm trying to find a way to make all the sites actually created by admin behave as if they had been created while logged in as a client.

Is it possible?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  9. Davide

Davide Member

So I can suposse it also applies to traffic quota.
    Client's traffic quota is not more than a virtual limit, is the maximun quota a client can assign to all his websites. But the only real traffic quota is site's traffic quota

Am I wrong?

10. till

Yes, thats correct. This is the way all quotas are applied.

11. dimas

dimas Member

Till, I'm sorry - if you could also just give a short reply to my previous post: