A good firewall to use

Discussion in 'General' started by rrhode, Mar 27, 2009.

1. rrhode

rrhode New Member

Hi there,

I saw somewhere that you were wondering what firewall to include with ISPConfig 3. Whether you were going to keep the old one Ballista that you used in ISPConfig 2 or find a different one.

Well I have become quite fond of CSF and wonder if it is an option?

It has a module for webmin which maybe you could use to get an idea of it. I don't know if there is something wrong with CSF but I am pretty sure its good for the job.

It also automatically updates itself. It appears to run on a large number of distributions and virtual servers.

http://www.configserver.com/cp/csf.html

I would absolutely love to see this inside ISPConfig.

I am currently testing Webmin with the GPL version of Virtualmin with this on there and so far so good. The system has been up for a month and nobody has hacked it yet that I am aware of.

I am comparing that to ISPConfig 3 to see which I like better. If CSF goes to ISPConfig 3 I will definitely be using it instead. Hell, I would pay up to $200 for this since that is how much I will have to pay for the professional version of Virtualmin in order to get my system setup properly. ISPConfig has most, if not all of the options I can see that I would need and is much quicker, nicer and simpler to use by the looks of it. Virtualmin / webmin are pretty darn nice but I am kind of liking ISPConfig 3 now that I took a look at it.

I may have to install ISPConfig 3 either way just because it looks like its laid out nicer and may be easier for clients to use to create and manage their own websites.

I have some questions about it but maybe I should put that in another thread.

Ryan

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig 3 uses Bastille. bastille works quite well and I dont see a reason at the moment to switch to another firewall. ISPConfig is a modular controlpanel so if someone wants to add a new firewall he can write a plugin for it.

3. agapito

agapito New Member

how can I to use bastille?

tahnks

4. till

Install ispconfig and then enabele the firewall in the administration module.

5. davestyle

davestyle New Member

Why doesn't ISPconfig use straight up good old fashion IPtables?
    Might be nice to be able to specify source and destination addresses in the firewall config page. Come to think of it, I might post that as a feature request :)

6. till

Bastille is a iptables wrapper script.