a logical bug?

Discussion in 'General' started by blocker, Aug 22, 2008.

1. blocker

blocker Member

Hi Forumers,

today i was watching my mail.log and noticed something strange:
    Some mails send from my ISPconfig server are being rejected from other mail servers with the reason of being SPAM. I started investigating the issue and noticed that some users have their spam strategy "accept" or have switched off the mail scanning BUT have forwarders to external mail servers :eek: So i realized that my server is some kind of an open spam gateway.
    Would not be a good idea to DENY forwarding IF the user has switched off the scanning OR has spam strategy to "accept" OR has a high spam hits level???

Thanks!

2. JeGr

JeGr Member

As I understand that would do nothing to the situation as forwarded mails aren't checked by the spamfilter. Only local deliveries are passed through the procmail script and therefore are scanned via clamassassin.

3. blocker

blocker Member

I do not if i am right, just shooting in the dark... but if a mail gets in the server and its SPAM, but the user has switched off spamassassin and have a forwarder to external mailserver, this SPAM will be delivered to the external mailserver. But if the user has a mandatory level of spam and mandatory state of spamassasin - ON to use forwarding that will not happen - the mail will be discarded by the spam filter and will not be delivered to the external mailserver....

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, that's right.

5. blocker

blocker Member

and whats the conclusion....

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

The conclusion is that it doesn't matter if the user has switched on SpamAssassin or not because if he forwards his emails, they will not be scanned because the forwarding happens before SpamAssassin is called.

7. blocker

blocker Member

ok, and what do we do about that?! i think its a workaround for sending spam, in case we have 400 domains with +3000 users on that ISPconfig server....

Thanks

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If they want spam scanning, they will have to use the local account. Otherwise the mail is forwarded as it is. And you are not sending spam, you just forward all incoming emails for a special account without filtering. Thats a big diference as the spam does not originates from your server.