A proper way of backing up your email directory and restoring it "VMAIL"

Discussion in 'Technical' started by biggdog, Jan 11, 2014.

1. biggdog

biggdog Member

I have tried several of the howto's and the "Creating Encrypted FTP Backups With duplicity And duply On Debian Squeeze", "Set Up Rsnapshot, Archiving Of Snapshots And Backup Of MySQL Databases On Debian" and "Automated Backups With rdiff-backup" work pretty good but for some reason when the time comes for a restore I just cant see the damn folders. I have about 50 or more folders that I save my messages in and when I restore they do not seem to restore in my client or at least they do not show up as though they are there.

Please somebody help me try to resolve this problem. I have also tried to Winscp the folders and still no luck.

PLEASE IF I AM AN IDIOT PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND HOW. JUST TELL ME SOMETHING PLEASE.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Your talking about backup and restore of a ispconfig 3 email folder?

Backup:

tar pcfz vmail_backup.tar.gz /var/vmail

Restore:

copy the vmail_backup.tar.gz file to / on your server. Then run:

tar xfz vmail_backup.tar.gz

as alternative, you can unpack the folder in your current folder:

vmail_backup.tar.gz

and then move the files over with:

mv -f var/vmail/* /var/vmail/

3. biggdog

biggdog Member

Thanks.

So this will leave us with all of our email folders with the mail inside working in say Outlook or Thunderbird??

Also I am not currently working with the howto email setups so no ISPConfig. I had to take a break until I figured out how to install with a non static IP Address.