A Putty/Debian/Ubuntu question

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Leszek, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Leszek

Leszek Member

Hi!

My problem is that when I try to install some software on my Debian system by Putty (ex. apt-get install mc) i get typical info about that two packages will be installed,none erased etc. and it asks me to confirm that I want to install.When I enter T (in my language this means Yes) i get an error "Stopped."

What could be the reason ?
    I've noticed the same on a Ubuntu system.
    How can I get around it ?
    Is it like this because of security reasons (that would make sense)?

2. martinfst

martinfst Member Moderator

Looks like a language setting. Do you have 'locales' active on your server? To accept the default, you could also just hit <enter>

3. Leszek

Leszek Member

I've hit enter instead of entering T and it gives me the same error.
    I don't know about locales.

4. martinfst

'locales' means do you run your server in your local language or in English. You can also check the environment variable LANG
    Code:
    # env

5. Leszek

Leszek Member

I run the system in my language.

6. martinfst

What's the value of the LANG variable. apt-get should report in your language if set correctly and you get English (I think)
    If I would run my system in Dutch, my LANG variable would be NL_nl.

I just tested, but it seems apt-get is not locales aware, so even if I set the LANG variable I still get English. :eek:

7. Leszek

Leszek Member

The value is pl_PL.UTF-8.
    Apt "speeks" my language.
    As I described above the problem occurs when I log to my server by Putty.
    When I try to install something while logging in to it's shell (no SSH) I get no errors.
    I know that this might look like the problem is in Putty but I though that it might be some kind of a security enhancement or something. I'm not really sure.
    That's why I'm asking for help.

8. Leszek

Leszek Member

Yesterday night I tried installing some software on an OpenSuSE system using Putty and it went fine.
    I used Yast (RPM) because that system doesn't have APT by default.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  9. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can try to run
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure locales
    on your Debian/Ubuntu system.

10. Leszek

Leszek Member

I don't mind the lack of polish fonts in the system but i'd like to know how could I install any packages on my system.It's a really strange thing about ssh and Putty.

11. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can try
    Code:
    apt-get install -y [I]package_name[/I]

12. Leszek

Leszek Member

Now why didn't I think of that ? I just told him to answer yes to any questions APT asks durring the installation and it worked !!! So we have the cure but what about the reason of this strange behaviour ?
    Thanks again Falko!!!

13. Leszek

Leszek Member

I've also tried changing the default character set translation on received data in Putty's configuration (Window -> Translation) from "ISO-8859-2:1999 (Latin-2, East Europe)" to "UTF-8" instead of entering "apt-get install package_name" and it worked too but without the question for approvement on the installation.
    Tricky stuff but easy to work out.