A small bug

Discussion in 'General' started by roi, Oct 18, 2006.

1. roi

roi New Member

I found out that when you create a 'A' record it does not warn you about the trailling dot.
    If the dot is not there, MyDNS will not show the entry in replyes.

2. Ben

Ben Active Member Moderator

I guess you mean when the A Record is a FQDN and not that short version in the BIND9 config with the @ for "autocompletion"?

3. roi

roi New Member

When you put in a SOA record, for example : ' mydomain.tld ' it warn you that you must put a trailling dot : ' mydomain.tld. '.

But when you create a 'A' record (or mx\cname) for example A: ' mydoamin.tld ' CNAME: ' www.mydomain.tld ' it allow you to put them in without the trailling dot, like in my example, while the dot is mandatory for MyDNS to resolve correctly.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

As far as I remember, A-Records without a dot are fine. If you add "mydoamin.tld" as A-Record to the SOA "mydoamin.tld" it results in the domain "mydoamin.tld.mydoamin.tld" which is a valid domain name but maybe not that what you wanted. But if you add "www" as A-Record to the SOA "mydoamin.tld" it results in "www.mydoamin.tld" which is a common domain name :)

5. roi

roi New Member

Got it now...

Still, since on probably most systems there will be a 'A' record with only the domain name, maybe there is a place to put some warning about the subject (or at least document it).

6. Ben

Ben Active Member Moderator

@Till: Well it is fine, but a FQDN ends with a dot.
    In bind config you have 2 possibilties, to attach the zone (with the trailing .) to each record, or the shortened syntax, where bind does this automatically.

7. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff