(a) Upgrade to 7.4? (b) Can I substitute PHP 7.4 in this tutorial? (url in msg text)

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by peterpetr, Aug 26, 2021.

1. peterpetr

peterpetr Member

(a) Upgrade to PHP 7.4?
    I have two existing ISPconfig v3.2.4 servers on Ubuntu 18.04 that were setup using this tutorial:
    The Perfect Server - Ubuntu 18.04 (Nginx, MySQL, PHP, Postfix, BIND, Dovecot, Pure-FTPD and ISPConfig 3.1) (howtoforge.com)
    PHP 7.2 is installed in those two VPSs. I need to upgrade to PHP 7.4.
    Therefore I followed these instructions:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/how-to-compile-and-install-php-7.4-on-ubuntu-18-04/
    At the end of the above instructions, to support my NGINX web server, I added the following in the PHP-FPM Settings tab in IPSconfig (v3.2.4)
    Path to the PHP-FPM init script: php-7.4-fpm
    Path to the php.ini directory: /opt/php-7.4/lib
    Path to the PHP-FPM pool directory: /opt/php-7.4/etc/php-fpm.d​
    MISSING VALUE in the tutorial
    My IPSconfig has a 4rth field (after the above three) in the web form:
    "PHP-FPM socket directory: [ ]"
    What text value to I put for the "PHP-FPM socket directory" field?

(b) Can I substitute PHP 7.4 in this tutorial?
    I need to setup two more new Ubuntu VPS instances (with ISPconfig) that use NGINX and MariaDb for my WordPress installations. I will also want to setup a mail server on these VMs. I was hoping for a tutorial for installing ISPconfig on Ubuntu 20.04 but did not find a tutorial that includes NGINX. Therefore, I'm using the save tutorial as first mentioned above (for Ubuntu 18.04). But, I need PHP 7.4 (not 7.2).

On this tutorial page:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/perfect-server-ubuntu-18-04-nginx-bind-dovecot-and-ispconfig-3/
    Step #7 instructs how to install PHP 7.2.
    Can I just substitute "7.4" for every occurrence of "7.2" ??

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

That method of installing php versions is deprecated, it's much easier and faster to add them via package repositories now.

You should not change the system php version; ensure you only add new versions as additional php versions.

In your case, it would probably be fairly quick to upgrade your Ubuntu release, and then the system php version will already be 7.4. Be sure to run through the Ubuntu 20.04 perfect server guide afterwards and install all software packages (except apache ones) afterwards, then run the installer to reconfigure services.

For your new systems, use the autoinstaller, which works on Ubuntu 20.04 and can install nginx.

ahrasis likes this.
  3. peterpetr

peterpetr Member

Thanks for your quick reply.
    (a) I have already done the "addition of PHP 7.4" per this tutorial:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/how-to-compile-and-install-php-7.4-on-ubuntu-18-04/
    Therefore, I do need the following info:
    My IPSconfig has a 4rth field (after the above three) in the web form:
    "PHP-FPM socket directory: [ ]"

(b) For the new Ubuntu 20.04 VM, I will use the auto-install script / tutorial you are recommending.
    Thank you.

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

I think it's usually empty from what I have seen. I'm not even sure if that field works right, it seems like there was a bug with its use a while back, and I don't recall if it was fixed it not

ahrasis likes this.
  5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Leave the socket directory field empty.

ahrasis likes this.