? about telnet

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Lord Quoros, May 15, 2008.

1. Lord Quoros

Lord Quoros New Member

I am new to linux so please forgive me for my stupid ?... I am following the http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu8.04-lts-p3 to setup a web server and when I get to the part that says to use putty to edit this file vi /etc/network/interfaces I can not figure out how to save it after I modify it.

2) network 192.168.0.0
    broadcast 192.168.0.255
    are these supposed to be my dns numbers?

Thank you again.

2. geek.de.nz

geek.de.nz New Member

editors

Hi,

Use pico or nano to edit since they are supposedly easier to use. If those 2 are not available or you want to learn vi or vim, in vi:
    press 'i' (for insert mode)
    enter your text
    press <escape> (to go into command mode)
    type ':wq' (to write and quite)

in command mode of vim you can type ':help user-manual' to get a full user manual. on a shell you can also type
    vimtutor
    to go through a tutorial.

Cheers

3. Lord Quoros

Lord Quoros New Member

Thank you very much for the help....

4. hardy123

hardy123 New Member

Thanks for the information.I am very much thankful to you.

5. PrawnStar

PrawnStar New Member

No, the network address is the very first address in your range of IP addresses, the broadcast address is one that all hosts in that range listen to.

The 192.168.0.x is a class C network which has a default subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. What this means is that you have 8 bits left over for your addresses - this works out at 256 (0-255 is 256) minus 2 (for your network and broadcast addresses), or 254 usable IP addresses*.

See this tldp page for details.

-Colin

* confusingly some manufacturers of network equipment actually let you use these (0 and 255) addresses for devices.