absolute security of postfix ispconfig on debian 10

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by virk6, Dec 11, 2023.

1. virk6

virk6 Member HowtoForge Supporter

I'm using debian 10 with Ispconfig 3.2 with Postfix.
    I believe I have correctly configured the ufw security of my Postfix email and all email addresses on Ispconfig but I still receive spam on my server and emails that do not reach their destination.
    Can anyone help me make my email server 99% secure?
    Thanks in advance.

2. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

The default configuration of ISPConfig for Postfix is already configured to provide a secure enough Postfix.
    The UFW has nothing to do with Spam. Check that you have all the necessary ports open for mail services e.g. imap, smtp etc. The ports should be listed in detail in the installation guide, make sure to give i a proper read.

What excatly do you mean by that? Do you get a rejection message back? Does the mail log provide any usefull information?

Don't manually change the Postfix configuration files and make sure to only open ports you need and you should be fine.

3. virk6

Thank you for your reactions. Yes I have configured Postfix and Ispconfig and the necessary ports work. The email addresses are also well configured as well as the domains linked to the email addresses see attached images. The problem is sometimes messages sent to a gmail account are returned. I would like to know for anti-spam filters what is the right choice, wise choice should I choose? Non-paying, Normal, Permissive, Trigger happy, Uncensored, Wants all spanm?
    Why so many choices to make? Can ISPProtect malware also play a useful role and how effective is it on my server?

Attached Files:

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

First of all, something like absolute security does not exist, except maybe to not use email and not run an email server at all. Like @pyte mentioned, ISPConfig provides a fairly secure and well-setup system out of the box, but as with any spam filter, you always get some spam through as there is no system with 100% accuracy. But you can fine-tune your system and even train it to suit your needs.

These are not different spam filters. These are different spam filter score levels in combination with features like antivirus. The scores for these levels are configured in the spam filter policies. Different people have different needs, and that's why different filter levels exist. As a start, go with the Normal filter level. If too much spam goes through, you can lower its spam score on the policy settings. But be careful. Setting it too low will cause non-spam emails to be filtered out.

ISPProtect is a website malware scanner, so it finds Malware in websites. This is a completely different topic and not related to email.

In regard to your email sending problem, as you can see, even Gmails spam filters are not accurate when they reject your valid email.. But there are things that you can do to try to minimize such risks. Take care you have DKIm signing enabled for the email domain and your DKIM key is published in DNS. Also take care that you have a correct SPF policy in place and you can also publish a DMARC record in DNS.

5. virk6

Hello,
    Allow me to particularly thank you Till and Pyte because your insight has once again allowed me to reassure myself about my postfix messaging. No system is 100% secure against spam and I admit it because it would be so nice!
    Thank you all and have a nice day!