access client path without domain name

Discussion in 'General' started by jmelon, Jun 30, 2010.

1. jmelon

jmelon New Member

How can I access my client's directory path if we did not map a domain name to it as of yet?

Another words I want to get to his site by direct path like this :

11.111.11.11/var/www/clients/client0/web12/

but that doesn't work...

11.111.11.11 - would be my static IP (example)
    11.111.11.11:8080 - is where my IPSconfig is

someone suggested this:

11.111.11.11/var/www/myclient.com/:/var/www/clients/client0/web12

but that does not work either.

My client has a live website on another server, different IP than where he will be moved to. I want to build his site on my server at the above IP/path then once finished point his domain to my server. Problem is I can't access his client directory setup using ISPConfig because I don't know the correct path name.

HELP!

jake

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. jmelon

jmelon New Member

I don't think that is going to work for me. I already have 10 sites under my static IP on the Linux box pointing from 10 different domain names. There isn't just one site like the FAQ refers to.

There has to be a way to access the client directory via the browser for developmental purposes (like to install Wordpress etc) without a domain name.

jake

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This does not matter, the method in the FAQ works exactly for this scenario. You can use this for 100 or 1000 sites under one IP as well. Thats why this method is used and why accessing by IP as you tried can not work.

5. bernholdt

bernholdt Member

I am running ISPConfig 2 but I usually just create a new website with the domain name the user wants, and then I create a subdomain under my main domainname eg. testsite.hostname.com, that the new site can be accesed under untill the new domainname is created.
    This has worked fine for me for many years now.

6. Toucan

Toucan Member

jmelon,

The method Till has suggested works perfectly. I use it for developing sites that I've not yet bought the domain name for.

Edit the host file as per Till's link on the computer you want to access the site from. In essence this cuts out all the dns searches for that domain (existing or not) and send the browser straight to the correct server. Your browser asks the server for the site 'yourdomain.com' and the virtual host will serve it up.

This will work whether you're on the same lan or the other side of the earth. Have some faith.

7. jmelon

jmelon New Member

Thank you everyone!

It did work! I got it configured on my XP and Vista boxes and it worked like a charm.

I also told my client to add the IP and URL to his host file so he could see how work progresses.

thank you again,
    j