Access denied for user 'ispconfig'@'127.0.0.1' (using password: YES)

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by intellivision, Nov 11, 2020.

1. intellivision

intellivision New Member

I'm seeing thousands of those in mysql error log. Should the IP be "localhost"?

If so, where do I change it?

I started a thread a week ago in General about uninstalling, and that didn't work, so I'm trying to make ISPConfig work, or at least stop the error log entries.

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Have you deleted the ispconfig user or changed it's password? In that case, it can't login and throws these errors.

You can stop the ISPConfig cronjobs by removing them from crontab:
    Code:
    crontab -e

3. intellivision

intellivision New Member

Thanks Th0m.

crontab -e shows a default file for my user, everything commented

sudo crontab -e shows

* * * * * /usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh 2>&1 | while read line; do echo `/bin/date` "$line" >> /var/log/ispconfig/cron.log; done
    * * * * * /usr/local/ispconfig/server/cron.sh 2>&1 | while read line; do echo `/bin/date` "$line" >> /var/log/ispconfig/cron.log; done

I commented both those with the "#" character at pos 1 of each line... waiting to see if the mysql error log gets written to, or if it stops.

FWIW, it logs hundreds or thousands of that error every five minutes, and I think it's responsible for a ~30-40% CPU load increase bump.

Sorry I can't format code properly. Xenforo and I... don't understand each other.

4. intellivision

intellivision New Member

That didn't help. Still getting ~10/sec this error logged for I think 60 seconds, every 5 minutes.

5. intellivision

intellivision New Member

If you're out of ideas... I understand. I plan to spin up a new server and move my sites if that's the case.

The CPU is more than my estimate. It's an increase of around 60% every five minutes, which often maxes to 100% and triggers abandoned mysql connections and all the other horrors of an unresponsive server.

I've tried uninstalling ISPConfig, and that failed, so I don't know where to go except there.

6. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

For this server, you should probably decide if you are keeping ispconfig or uninstalling it.

If you're keeping it, go through the entire Perfect Server guide for your OS and install all prerequisites, rename the old /usr/local/ispconfig/ directory and dump then drop the dbispconfig database, then run the ispconfig installer.

If you're uninstalling it, you'll need to unconfigure all the services which connect to the database, eg. postfix, dovecot, amavis, etc. A "grep -Rl ispconfig /etc/" will give you some files to start with. As for the 5 minute interval, that's most often a cron job, so I'd go through those again and check that they are really disabled.

7. intellivision

intellivision New Member

Thanks for your response, Jesse.

Well, I don't use ISPConfig, but I'd rather let sleeping dogs lie, as they say. I'm not good enough at Linux to disturb so many things and not create more problems. I've done it, I've been there.

If you're wondering why I installed ISPConfig, I just followed this https://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-10-buster-apache-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3-1/ ... not knowing I wouldn't need it. Anyway...

#* * * * * /usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh 2>&1 | while read line; do echo `/bin/date` "$line" >> /var/log/ispconfig/cron.log; done
    #* * * * * /usr/local/ispconfig/server/cron.sh 2>&1 | while read line; do echo `/bin/date` "$line" >> /var/log/ispconfig/cron.log; done

That's what's in $sudo crontab -e, which I would guess is root's cron task set. My local user's cron is a default file, with nothing added and everything commented out.

Where else should I look for the cron job that's triggering every 5 minutes?

8. Th0m

Take a look at your syslog (/var/log/syslog) to see which cronjobs are running.

intellivision likes this.
  9. intellivision

intellivision New Member

Th0m thank you so much. It was Postfix and Amavis. Example entries from syslog:

Nov 11 18:49:48 lamp-3-vm amavis[27380]: (27380-01) (!)connect_to_sql: unable to connect to DSN 'DBI:mysql:database=dbispconfig;host=127.0.0.1;port=3306': Access denied for user 'ispconfig'@'127.0.0.1' (using password: YES)
    Nov 11 18:49:48 lamp-3-vm postfix/smtp[27312]: warning: ED3412A7DE: flush service failure

I stopped both of them and the CPU spikes are gone. I appreciate your and Jesse's help.

Th0m likes this.
  10. Th0m

Alright :) If you don't need those you can uninstall them. They are currently configured to use ISPConfig's DB, that's where the error comes from.

Have a nice day :)

intellivision likes this.