Access denied for user 'ispconfig'@'localhost'

Discussion in 'General' started by reason8, Feb 2, 2010.

1. reason8

reason8 Member

Hello and good morning.
    I have backed up and restored ISPConfig 3 to a new machine but for some reason I can not load the sites. I keep getting an error of " Access denied for user 'ispconfig'@'localhost'" either in the logs or when I try to access this ispconfig user via mysql -u ispconfig -p to confirm valid access.

Also when attempting to restart mydns I get the following:
    "Starting mydns mydns[9259]: Error connecting to MySQL server at localhost: Access denied for user 'ispconfig'@'localhost' (using password: YES) (errno=0)
    startproc: exit status of parent of /usr/sbin/mydns: 1"

So I am assuming there is something going on with ISPConfig trying to access mysql. The ispconfig password that I have has non standard characters in it but this has never been a problem on the previous machine, or the machine before that. The two machines before this were identical in hardware so upon restore of the previous machine, I just copied all directories and files over and it worked. Since this new machine is different, I am faced with a more complex problem.

Also, when restarting apache, I am getting virtual host messages stating:

[Tue Feb 02 02:56:36 2010] [warn] VirtualHost XXX.XXX.X.X:80 overlaps with VirtualHost XXX.XXX.X.X:80, the first has precedence, perhaps you need a NameVirtualHost directive
    [Tue Feb 02 02:56:36 2010] [warn] VirtualHost XXX.XXX.X.X:80 overlaps with VirtualHost XXX.XXX.X.X:80, the first has precedence, perhaps you need a NameVirtualHost directive
    [Tue Feb 02 02:56:36 2010] [warn] VirtualHost XXX.XXX.X.X:80 overlaps with VirtualHost XXX.XXX.X.X:80, the first has precedence, perhaps you need a
    NameVirtualHost directive

Before this, apache would fail because the /usr/local/ispconfig/server/scripts/vlogger folder was not there. I copied this over and now it restarts, ispconfig cpanel comes up but no sites.

Can someone help me with this? I have been at my wits end for a few days now.

Thanks!

Ray

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Are there any MySQL errors in your logs?

3. reason8

reason8 Member

I am getting mydns errors in /var/log/messages:
    Feb 4 02:01:26 isp mydns[12596]: Error connecting to MySQL server at localhost: Access denied for user 'ispconfig'@'localhost' (using password: YES
    ) (errno=0)

/var/log/mysqld.log lookgs good.
    100204 01:55:44 mysqld ended

100204 01:55:44 mysqld started
    100204 1:55:44 InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 43665
    100204 1:55:44 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: ready for connections.
    Version: '5.0.67' socket: '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' port: 3306 SUSE MySQL RPM
    /var/log/mysqld.log lines 20-42/42 (END)

BTW, I just removed mysql and mysq-client and deleted my backups of mysql logs from previous install. The above reflects that current state.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The reson for the error messages is that the password of the ispconfuig mysql database user ahs been changed or that the ispconfig mysql database user has been removed. To repair the setup, download ispconfig 3.0.1.6 and run the update.php script and choose to reconfigure the services when the updater asksk you.

5. reason8

reason8 Member

The backup version of ISPConfig 3 is 3.0.1.6. After a restore the command "ispconfig_update.sh" will not work because 3.0.1.6 is already on this system. The response I get is "There are no updates available for ISPConfig 3.0.1.6"

This is after I copy my backup /var/lib/mysql to the new server. Also, mydns will not load. It gives me an error of:

Starting mydns mydns[5438]: Error connecting to MySQL server at localhost: Access denied for user 'ispconfig'@'localhost' (using password: YES) (errno=0)
    startproc: exit status of parent of /usr/sbin/mydns: 1
    failed

The problem is when I try to restore mysql database for the webserver. I can not login to the control panel either. I am assuming because it is not able to read the information stored in mysql database.

Thanks!

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

7. reason8

reason8 Member

That did not work. It will not allow me to login to the control panel. I am still getting mydns errors that the ispconfig user does not have access to the mysql user database.

Maybe I am not understanding the exact process of restoring ISPConfig 3. Can you detail it for me. What needs to be restored and installed and in what order.

Thanks!

8. reason8

reason8 Member

Hello. I was wondering if you had any insight on this situation. For the life of me I can not figure out how to get mydns to connect to ispconfig mysql database with the ispconfig username that I am trying to restore to a new server. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

9. reason8

reason8 Member

Well I have come to the conclusion that there is something in the /etc folder that is needed to start mydns successfully. I am not sure what it is but am in the process of investigating this. I know it's the /etc folder because a restored the production /etc folder to the test /etc folder and mydns worked in addition to mysql and the ispconfig loading.

Anyone have input into which file(s) is needed to bring up mydns?

10. BorderAmigos

BorderAmigos New Member

/etc/mydns.conf is needed.

11. reason8

reason8 Member

That seems to have done the trick. I have been soooo flustered with this that I think I just neglected to consider there was a configuration file of some sort for mydns that needed to be restored.

Many thanks to you and the members of this forum who assisted me in getting to this point. Now I can proceed :)