access denied

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by PortMan, Jun 19, 2006.

1. PortMan

PortMan New Member

I have installed a new server with ispconfig by doing to following:

1. Created a Reseller Account
    2. From the Reseller Account, created a Customer and website.

I then used telnet to the server as root then used the wget http://... to get a rar and extracted it to the web directory. I renamed the folder to "beta" within the web directory.
    Now, I can't change anything within the beta directory. I was able to change the name from "beta" to what ever without any problems. But, I can not change the names or permissions within the directory.

The error:

SITE CHMOD 777 /web/beta/cache
    550 /web/beta/cache: Operation not permitted
    ERROR:> Requested action not taken (e.g., file or directory not found, no access).

What have I one and how do I correct it?

thanks.

2. erk

erk New Member HowtoForge Supporter

First of all I must discourage the use of telnet. Use ssh for remote connections and disable telnet. Secondly I'm not sure where the error message you quoted was logged but I will make an educated guess as to what the problem is.

That said I must also discourage logging in as root to untar stuff in a web directory. This is a sure way of making a mess of all file permissions and if you are running PHP in safe mode this will be even more of a problem. I suggest you delete all files and directories in your web folder and start over.

The safe way to do it is to is to untar your file on your client machine and upload the content with ftp. This way the files will be owned by the correct user and group wich it will not if you do this as root. To be able to upload to the web folder the user you use when connecting with ftp must be checked as admin user for the domain.

If you really want to this command line style on the server I suggest you check "enable shell login" for the domain in ISPC. Then you will be able to login with your admin user using SSH (or telnet if you must :) ) and download and untar your file without messing up permissions that bad ;) .

//Erk

3. PortMan

PortMan New Member

erk -

Thank you for the reply. Out of habit, I typed telnet when in actuallity I do use Putty and SSH to login - so no worries there :)

That is a cool feature (shell access) and is exactly what I need to get my files on the server. The server has a fast connection to the internet and my client is on dial-up. So, now that I know what the "shell access" is, it will work perfect!

I appreciate your help!!!!!!!!!

4. erk

erk New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Happy to help and even happier that you don't actually use telnet :D

//Erk