Access ISPConfig console from the Internet

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by hereinoz, Dec 7, 2015.

1. hereinoz

hereinoz Member

Hi All,
    I would like to access the ISPConfig3 console from a remote location, but even though I have forwarded port 443 and port 8080 from the modem to the ISPConfig3 server, I can't access the console from outside the modem. No problems from inside, though.

Clearly there is something I am missing and I would really appreciate any assistance in getting this done. I realise that there is a security risk in this, and I plan to only have it set up while I am away from the office for a week.

Hope you can help

Cheers,
    Alan

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which page do you see when you try to access port 8080? Some modems and routers reserve that port for your own use, in this case you have to use a different port on the router and forward that to port 8080 on your server.

The ispcofig interface is made to be accessed directly from the internet, so there is no special risk to allow access to it. Almost all ispconfig servers are configured that way.

3. hereinoz

hereinoz Member

Thanks Till,

I get no connection at all. Connection timed out. The system is Ubuntu 14.04 and I am using ufw firewall with all permitted except some special IP addresses (serial offenders) and the fail2ban IPs. I can scan the network with nmap and see port 8080 open from within the network, but it is completely invisible from outside the modem - not closed, just not there.
    I have tried port 28080 forwarded to 8080 and that fails as well. All web and email traffic works as expected, so it is only this particular functionality which is failing. Could there be something in the apache2 config which is allowing port 8080 from inside the network, but blocking it from outside the modem? It is the only thing I can think of.

Cheers,
    Alan.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I don't think so, or at least ISPConfig does not add any such restrictions. When the server is accessible from local network then it is most likely a issue on the modem or router. Maybe you can try to change the ispconfig port in the ispconfig.vhost file in the apache config, then restart apache and try if this port works with your router.

5. hereinoz

hereinoz Member

Thanks for your input, Till. It was indeed the modem. It was passing every other port except 8080. It must have been using that for something internal, although I was unable to find out what. It was a TP-Link TD-8840. Changed it to a Billion 7800NXL and all was perfect.
    Thanks again.