Access to CP not possible

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Quaxth, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Hi,

I try to access the CP over the Internet and could not connect by https://mydomain.com:8088 and the same happens if I use my static IP instead of domain.

Web-Mail just works fine, no problems with that. Also just typing the nomal address http://maydomain.com, I get the Nag Screen because no website yet.

Could someone please give me an advice how to check and what could trigger that problem?

Thasnks a lot.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Most likely port 8080 is blocked or used by your router. Open port 8080 in the router or firewall of your network or you can try to use a different port by editing the file /etc/apache2/sites-available/ispconfig.vhost, replace the number 8080 with the port that you want to use and restart apache. Just ensure that you do not use a port that is already in use like 80 or 443.

3. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Sorry Till, the port is set to 8088 and locally works fine. Also port forwarding is set to 8088 and the servers IP. So there shouldn't be a problem. It was workin well last night but today. Curious!

Will restart the server! May that helps?!

Thanks for your answer.

4. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

OK, after restarting the server, works now again.

By the way, while connecting I get all times the Nag Screen about security in Google, any way to get rid of that?

There was also some other things, will recall them and make screen shots from it and post later.

5. almere

almere Member HowtoForge Supporter

You should buy the SSL certificate, than you will not see it any more.

6. till

7. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Nice advice, thank you.

I asked some time ago already I could use the unused SSL Certificates I have on my registra for to setup, but no answer for that.

So, I ask again, Could I use that SSL Certificates for ISP Config Server because it's related to my Domain?

Thanks.

8. till

If you have a ssl cert for the deomain that you use to access ispconfig, then you can use it for ispconfig as well.

9. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Thanks for that. I've 2 Certs free for using and will proceed with one later for ISPConfig. Have to create the 2048bit CSR Code as well. Could do from within the Registra's website.

The server type I need to choose is: Apache with OpenSSL. Is that correct?

Thanks.

10. till

Yes, thats correct.

11. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Could I use the CSR from ISConfig? I that which were created while installing ISPConfig 3 because that should have to correct entries.

Thanks.

12. till

Yes, you can use the csr from ispconfig. It is stored together with the key and self signed certificate under /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/

13. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Thanks Till.

Now the whole slowly get's into an productive stage.

One more question: Do I need for any Domain it's own SSL Cert or is the one for the server covering those domains as well?

Thanks.

14. till

a ssl cert is normally for one domain only. For that reason, you access the cp trough the hostname and not trough customer domains, so always the same domain and same ssl cert are used. If your customer websites need ssl as well, then you need a ssl cert for each site plus a differebt IP address for each site (at least if you want to support old browsers with ssl as well like IE on windows XP).

15. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

That make sense. Thanks for that.

Unfortunately the Static and Public IP's are quite expensive in Thailand. If I would like to have just one more Public IP for my system, it would cost me more than €80 a month which is way to much. The main use for this server is just caritative work for poor people with very low payment, if any. For us any Satang (Thai Cent) counts. There still a lot people in Thailand who living with as little as THB 100 (€~2.20) a day and those couldn't afford anything.

That said, I've to sit down and think about the use of SSl Certs because of the cost. It's OK for my server and will go ahead for it for that.

Thanks for the info. Very useful indeed.

Cheers.

16. till

17. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Thanks Till.

That article also say that you could use more than one domain per single SSL Cert under SNI Rules. Have to read a bit more about that, something for the weekend!!

If the above is possible, it would solve some problems for those Domain which shouldn't display an security warning page.

First I'll use one of my SSL Certs for the .biz domain which is used by the ISPConfig Server.

Thanks a lot.

18. till

Yes, thats what i explained above. But sni is browser dependant, so you can use this only if you are sure that none of your visitrs uses a older browser, otherwise they will get redirected to a wrong website.

19. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Understood! Thanks.

Just an question, I need to mount an USB Stick for to copy the cert, crs etc to but couldn't!

They not show up in df -h and in dmesg I see them as sde and sdg. Both are formatted to Fat32 and one I was use on the other server with no problem.

How do I mount on the new server?

Thanks for your advice.

20. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

On the servers monitor I also get the following messages:

[379.313759] sd 15:0:0:0: [sdg] Asuming drive cache : write through
    ............................................No Caching mode page present

same in multiple line only the number in front change and the device from sdg to sde

Could you tell me more?

Thanks