access website using ip-adress

Discussion in 'General' started by Drakul, May 26, 2017.

1. Drakul

Drakul New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,
    I'm new to ispconfig and I'm still moving my websites from I-mscp to ISPconfig.
    Now my question is, is there an option accessing the websites through the ip-adress/var/www/clients/client2/...
    If yes - how to do this? or something similar?

It is just to install the backups, via akeeba (Joomla! Sites) and so the nameservers are still guiding to the old server and I want to install the backups - with this trick, of using the ipadress + path - and after the successfull installtion I want to guide the nameservers to the new server.

I'm looking in the documentation and in the web, but I'm new and every help is appricated :)

Thx,
    Drakul

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. Drakul

thanks for this information till :)

there is just one problem (or I need some more information, because my knowledge isn't at this level)
    my new server is in the internet and not in an internal network

so editting the host file for
    84.xxx.xxx.13 example.tld and then opening the website in the browser with example.tld won't work - or am I wrong here?
    because the nameserver will guide me to the oldserver with example.tld

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It does not matter if your server is on the internet or on a internal network, it works in both cases. Just edit the hosts file of your desktop (Windows, Mac and Linux have all a hosts file) and add a line with the IP fo your server followed by the domain name that you want to reach there. The hosts file overrides the DNS resolution of your desktop, so whatever you put there takes precedence over the DNS records that everyone alse uses.

Drakul likes this.
  5. Drakul

great now I see - thanks a lot till :)