Adding 2nd Rsync Computer W/ BackupPC

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by matthewjamesnewton, Nov 2, 2007.

1. matthewjamesnewton

matthewjamesnewton New Member

Hi I've successfully setup my backuppc box and it can backup a computer but now I want to add a 2nd one to the list to backup.

I tried to run through these steps again on this page...
    http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_backuppc_p3

but I didn't have any luck. The only step I skipped was generating the key on the backupPC server. (since I did it for the first pc)

I get down to the bottom (on the last step) to test it with the ssh command and I'm able to successfully connect to the first computer with out a password but the 2nd pc asks for the root password.

On a side now I did run into some problems when I was copying the public key from the 2nd pc >>> to the Server.
    Code:
    root@newton:~# scp ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub [email protected]:/var/lib/backuppc/.ssh/client_id_rsa.pub
    [email protected]'s password:
    scp: /var/lib/backuppc/.ssh/client_id_rsa.pub: No such file or directory

So I went ahead and copied the file manually and renamed it.

Any ideas if I'm doing this all wrong?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Do you see the public key of the second PC in ~/.ssh/known_hosts on the server?

3. matthewjamesnewton

yes, I see that file on the second computer.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

And is the public key of the second PC in that file?

5. matthewjamesnewton

Ok, I got it working finally.

I think this page was helpful, it explains what needs to happen for a key exchange.

http://drupal.nieuwerbrug.org/?q=node/66

It's pretty much what the directions were saying but made it easier for me to see what needed to be done. I had to manually move the public keys around.

Falko thanks for your help.