Adding ata drivers to initrd.img (it821x)

Discussion in 'Kernel Questions' started by zokahn, May 9, 2006.

1. zokahn

zokahn New Member

Hi,

After updating the kernel to a version that has the proper kernel driver for the ite 8212 ata controler i now have the problem that it will not load at boot-time. Compile was done using the kernel howto of Falko with the current 2.6.1.4 kernel. http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21

During boot, mount fails and sugests maintenance mode, after typing the password i do:

modprobe it821x
    vgscan
    vgchange -a y
    mount <filesystem>
    ^d

And the system boots. Offcourse i want it to just boot. But how to add the driver to the initrd.img. The mkinitrd man page talks about preloading and --with=module... this seems to solve my problem, however the Falko Howto does not really let me add other modules?(http://www.netadmintools.com/html/mkinitrd.man.html)

Please help me load this module!

Gr,

Zokahn

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can add the module to /etc/mkinitrd/modules. Then you create an initrd.img like this:
    Code:
    mkinitrd -k -r /dev/hda1 -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-1-amd64-generic 2.6.15-1-amd64-generic

3. zokahn

zokahn New Member

Thanks, Falko...

I've tried the sugestion and indeed the initrd tries to load the module.

I entered the it821x in the /etc/mkinitrd/modules file and in the /tmp/makeinitblabla I see the the module is copied in. At boottime however it simply states: module IT821x.ko not found. But it's there...

Gr,

Zokahn

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I think the module must be somewhere in the /lib directory (/lib/2.6....).

5. zokahn

zokahn New Member

Falko,

You are right... The dir i was refering to was the temp dir mkinitrd uses the build the image, it was just to show that the module was indeed in the image.

However... I did manage to solve my issue! Solving the problem in the end was, as problems often do, really easy. My root disk boots from the intel chipset native ide, which uses kernel drivers that have been in stable for ages.
    So it was just a matter of putting the right module in /etc/modules
    SSTTUUPPIIDD me did do that but with the file extention... it821x.ko and that my friends won´t fly.

So all it was in the end was my broken keyboard... Again,... I should really have it fixed :p

Gr,

Zokahn