Adding/Editing/Deleting Clients, only 2 at at time before re-login is required

Discussion in 'General' started by adamjedgar, Apr 14, 2017.

1. adamjedgar

adamjedgar Member

Hi guys,
    firstly, i would just like to say that my initial user experience with ISPConfig has been a good one. I have only had the program running on Google Cloud Compute for just a few hours and with the aid of the manual (which i wish had a cut down version that was free so that those wishing to trial the program could figure out how to do some of the basics without having first to comitt money to purchasing it), however, that aside the purchase is minimal for the wealth of information the document appears to contain.

I am working my way through learning the ropes there is a little issue that i have encountered...

I have found that when i am adding/editing/deleting clients from the ISPConfig administration area (using the default admin account). I am only able to edit 2 clients without having to log out and back in again. As soon as the re-login has been completed i can then edit another 2 clients before the same thing happens again.

Is this something that anyone else has experienced?

Ideas on what i may have done wrong to cause this, and/or how to fix it would be appreciated.

kind regards
    Adam

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I've never seen that and I must admit that I don't have an idea what may cause that. Which error do you get when you edit the 3rd client? Does it happens on clients only or also when you edit e.g. websites?

3. adamjedgar

adamjedgar Member

Hi Till,
    thank you for your reply,
    I havent tried it with anything else yet.
    I dont actually get any error...just nothing happens (ie no client is added or deleted on the screen).
    It must be something i have done wrong somewhere. I will keep experimenting to see if perhaps its my web browser (i am using google chrome on windows 10). I will also try on my samsung galaxy tab s using mobile data only and see if the issue is repeated. I will report back then.

EDIT....
    It must be a problem with my web browser...i switched to Microsoft Edge and there is no problem adding/editing/deleting client records.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  4. till

Another possibility might be the cloud that you are using, e.g. a firewall or something like that. you should also check the apche/nginx error and access.log if you see anything unusual about the failed requests and the Linux syslog if any processes get out of memory.

Which OS do you use?

5. adamjedgar

adamjedgar Member

Ah i found the problem...
    I can now repeat the issue.
    In both chrome and Edge, when one goes to delete a record, the web browser displays a pop up box asking user to reconfirm the change...this popup also contains a checkbox to disable it (so the popup doesnt appear anymore). As soon as that checkbox is ticked, thus disabling the popup, ISPConfig no longer allows any clients to be deleted unless one logs out then back in again (which also re-enables the browser popup function as well.)
    Hope this helps you guys in working through this with me. I am not sure if its a web browser bug, or an ISPconfig one?

please note
    *i am not talking about the ISPConfig confirmation popup...its the one before that generated by the web browser itself
    ** I have not tried simply refreshing by hitting F5 to see what effect that has
    ***In edge, simply logging out and back in again doesnt fix the problem like it does in google chrome. One must go to settings/clear browsing data/checkbox "popup exceptions". Then close edge and open it again logging back into ISPConfig.

Its something to do with Javascript i think

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  6. till

Hmm, ok. I'm not sure if there is anything that we can do against it. When the user tells his browser to suppress the delete confirmation popup and ISPConfig won't delete without confirmation of course as this would mean that people might lose data accidently, then such a lock situation can happen.

7. adamjedgar

adamjedgar Member

I just added some images to last post that illustrate the issue in edge.
    Its a strange one...does ISPConfig rely on javascript popups, such as the confirmation one used by browsers, in order to allow database updates? (perhaps there is something in this that will help sort the issue)

I dont find this any problem of course...I guess the main thing is that in case others are aware this may happen and ensure they do not enable the disable browser confirmation popup checkbox, as this also disables the ISPConfig one as well stopping database records from updating.

Thanks for taking the time to comment Till...I am really impressed that you guys are taking time on this for a newbie.

kind regards
    Adam

8. till

ISPConfig requests you to confirm the deletion and this confirmation is done with javascript. If you tell your browser to block that, then you won't see the confirmation and therefore you can't confirm the deletion anymore, so nothing get's deleted.

The solution is simply that you do not tell your browser to block ISPConfig. The checkbox in the form is added by the browser, not by ISPConfig.

9. adamjedgar

adamjedgar Member

yes but there are TWO confirmation windows...the first is the web browser one (generated by the browser itself) and a second page which is the ispconfig one on a NEW ispconfig page.

Turning off the one generated by the computer operating system or web browser (which ever is generating it) should have nothing to do with ISPConfigs own confirmation window/page.

I dont remember having seen any program do this before?

the two confirmation entities, "browser popup" and "ISPconfig confirmation page" should be independent of each other. I cannot see any reason why disabling the annoying browser popup should disable the ISPconfirmation window/page that comes after. The ISPConfig confirmation page focus event should not be generated by a windows popup from the previous command...most users would automatically choose the disable windows popup option because thats what we tend to do in most similar circumstances when faced with an annoying request such as this...the immediate choice of checking the disable checkbox would be done without even giving it a second thought..the idea being that we simply wish the process to continue to the next stage in future without further user input by having to confirm the annoying popup.

Perhaps the first popup text and checkbox, if its controlled by ISPConfig as it appears you are inferring, should be edited to be a little more descriptive of its actual function. Having said that, why on earth would someone wish to disable a function they are trying to perform whilst halfway through the process? (this doesnt make any sense) My view of how it reads is that it is asking if a user wants to disable the browser popup only...not stuff the entire database transaction being undertaken. This is because they are not even on the same page!

This isnt a criticism of your fantastic program...just an oversight in software engineering that i have encountered that is absolutely going to cause user problems (I cannot be the only person who has experienced this surely?)

Thank you for listening...once again great program.

kind regards
    Adam

10. till

You should ask that the developers of the browser that you use why they add checkboxes to dialogs on their own which cause the software that showed the dialog to fail. I'm not a browser developer, so I can't tell you why they add a checkbox to suppress this required dialog, the checkbox is not added by ISPConfig and I don't get it here in latest Chrome browser btw.