Adding existing Debian servers into the setup

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Stelios, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Stelios

Stelios Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi all,

I'm very much interested in the multi-server setup of ISPconfig for various reasons.
    I've got already in place two Debian 10 VMs were each running Bind and act as master-slave DNS server for my hosting environment.
    I would like to ask if it will be possible to add those servers into the multi-server setup without having to re-format the VMs plus re-adding/configuring the DNS all over again. Especially I want to keep all DNS records that I got in place.
    If the above is possible, how it will work when trying to add afterwards the domains when I'll start migrating them?

What I mean is that let's say domain1.com is already in my DNS.
    After I create my multi-server environment I will need to add the domain1.com to the web/email/db server. Would it be a conflict or does it need something specific?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Yes.
    Follow instructions in ISPConfig manual to add servers to existing ISPConfig setup.
    I do not understand what you are asking about. When adding a website, you
    • add it in DNS so it resolves to your web server
    • add MX records to DNS pointing to e-mail server
    • add website in ISPConfig panel
    • add e-mail domain in ISPConfig panel
    • etc.

3. Stelios

Stelios Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

@Taleman thanks for the reply. Does ISPconfig auto-create the zones when adding a domain? This is what I'm asking on the 2nd part of my question. If not it should be fine; if yes, what will happen when it sees the already in place zones under Bind?

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

No. You have to add the domain yourself to DNS.

5. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It is not possible to add them to your ISPConfig setup without importing the zones to the panel. You can import the zone files easily though.

If the name servers are in use, I would set up 2 new ones and add them to your setup. Then import the zone files from the old nameservers.