Adding New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'General' started by anushanw, Feb 19, 2009.

1. anushanw

anushanw New Member

I have setup ISPConfig 2 on a Debian 5.0 server. I want to add a new hard drive and use it for the server as well.

What I actually would like to do is: I want to host a new web site separately on this new hard drive, and keep the other sites away from it if possible.

Could someone tell me how to do this is possible, or if not at least how to add the new hard drive to the ISPConfig 2

Thank you

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You could use a symlink. Please the web site on the new hard drive and then make /var/www/web1 (or whatever number it is) a symlink to the web site.

3. anushanw

anushanw New Member

So pretty much i should create a web site in ISPCongif 2 --> save my web folder in the new hard drive --> make a link
    Is this is the procedure or do i need to do in some other way?

Could you please tell me the code to mount the new hard drive to the server

and the code to make the link symlink please.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  4. bl4ckb1rd

bl4ckb1rd New Member

i think he told you enough. he told the solution, now go make it. if you have problems with understanding linux and symlink go read manuals. this is basics of linux... hint: man ln

5. anushanw

anushanw New Member

thanks for your hint. it was very helpful.
    the reason i asked the above question was because of lack of my knowledge and great confusion; and i need to get it done without screwing it up. Not to see your forte!

6. bl4ckb1rd

bl4ckb1rd New Member

i understand that, but without basic knowledge, you cannot expect this to be basic linux command line support... it's ispconfig more or less specific. i hope you understand that point of view too.

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Take a look at
    Code:
    man mount
    Basically it works like this:
    Code:
    mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt

8. bl4ckb1rd

bl4ckb1rd New Member

now explain him how to find which is correct /dev/hd[a-z] or even /dev/sd[a-z], then explain him how to make partition on it and how to make file system on it and how to auto mount it, and so on and on... this neverending story.

Edit: Sorry, i got carried away a bit...