Adding servers to existing ISPConfig 3 setup

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by tortib, Oct 8, 2014.

1. tortib

tortib Member

Hello,

I'm not adding a server to my existing ISPConfig 3 setup at this time, but I would like to know how I would go about doing so when the time arises. Do I just run the install on the main server that has the DB and select multi-server setup? Also will the user be able to select which server they use when I add the 2nd server, or will I be able to assign to them that specific server so they don't use a server that's already under heavy load?

Thank You.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You just install the new server as if it would be a single server except of the last step when you run the ispconfig installer, in the installer you choose expert mode instead of standard and then select that this new server shall join your master server.

you as a admin can set in the client settings which server a user may use for the next site he creates. so you can define there that the new server is used for new sites and mail domains.

3. tortib

tortib Member

What about the DNS? Would I just have to update the template to the new IP address? How are the apache files transferred to the new server same with the email?

4. till

There is nothing transferred, the new server is for new sites and you can select it when you add a new site or email domain.

5. tortib

tortib Member

How is that configured though? Does apache on the new server get the files with rsync? I would like to know how the configuration is on the other server. How does the mail server know which email domain to send? Does it communicate with MySQL? Please be specific in your answer.

6. till

The slave servers are polling the master server and when there are new changes, then they create the website or email domain locally and also copy all configuration details to their local database, so they are independant from the master and will not fail if the master or any other slave fails. The communication is done trough mysql. This setup is very scalable, so if you have 10, 100 or 1000 slave servers does not matter much.

7. tortib

tortib Member

That sounds awesome. So do I have to run the installer on the slave server as well?

8. till

You install the slave as usual, excpet of choosing expert mode. So the installer is only run on the slave and not on the master.

9. tortib

tortib Member

I'm still confused as to how I set the new server for the client. Do I just set it once? Or do I have to set it each time they create a new website? Where do I set the new server for the client at? Is it in the client tab for that specific client?

10. till

See client limit settings in client module, there you can set the default web, mail and dns server for a client.