Advice needed for migrating mail user passwords

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by snowweb, Aug 26, 2020.

1. snowweb

snowweb Member

I've created my mail domains and populated them all with mailboxes duplicating those on the old server. I did this through the ISPConfig panel. I've also copied the mail across using rsync, and have it neatly stored in the correct format and structure (confirmed by logging into one account which I reset the password for in the panel). I can quickly refresh the mailboxes at the time we go live to catch the recent changes.
    In past migrations, I managed to not reset the users passwords and I'm hoping to achieve the same this time.
    Original user hashes are stored in the postfix (database) mailbox (table) on the old server and the field in the database is in the format:
    or:
    On the new server, the passwords seem to be stored in the ispconfig (database) > mail_user (table) in the format:
    I'm looking for a way to replace the existing ISPConfig hashes with those of the old server, but is it able to check the user supplied passwords against PLAIN-MD5 and MD5-CRYPT hashes and if so, how should the prefix part be formatted?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Internet Search Engines with
    Code:
    site:howtoforge.com migrate e-mails same password
    show how e-mails have been migrated previously.

snowweb likes this.
  3. snowweb

snowweb Member

I researched like you suggested and wasn't quite able to find a usable solution, but the more I read the more I thought it worth trying to just copy the passwords "as-is" from old to new - both types and see what happened.

Fortunately, of the two accounts I can test, one was encrypted as MD5-CRYPT and the other was PLAIN-MD5. Amazingly, they both work. Both accounts can be logged into on the new system, using the old passwords. Inside Roundcube, it all looks sweet too.

Thanks for your input and thanks to ISPConfig team for a very accommodating product!