After Debian Buster Upgrade: Jailkit, I have no name

Discussion in 'General' started by Hbod, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Hbod

Hbod Member

2. Hbod

Hbod Member

whoami: cannot find name for user ID 5039

3. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

4. Hbod

Hbod Member

My first approach was to find out, what happened, since it was working before I've upgraded to Debian Buster. I reinstalled Jailkit using version 2.20 from the perfect server tutorial (because everything was working before the upgrade).

Now I have couple of broken Jailed accounts and I try to find a proper fix, not only hotfixing one particular user

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Try to find out why you get this message by checking the global /etc/passwd file and if that's ok, check the passwd file in the affected jail.

6. Hbod

Hbod Member

I used "chattr -i" on those webroots, removed "rm -rf bin etc lib lib64 usr dev", removed ssh user, re-added ssh-user and everything is working again.

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Ok, so the reason for the issue is just that the jail still contained old files. Jailkit has a command to update jails, you should be able to find more details in the jailkit docs and there is also a jail update script somewhere here in the forum, probably in tipps & tricks.

8. Hbod

Hbod Member

Yes, I already have that jk_update script from the user Jesse with a cronjob, but looks like there have been more stuff broken after the upgrade. But since I know how to fix this now, I will go the hard way and remove those corrupted jails manually.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    till likes this.
  9. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Hbod likes this.