After upgrade ispConfig: www. does not always work as expected

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by 30uke, Apr 15, 2021.

1. 30uke

30uke Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

When a user enters the domain name in the address bar of the web browser, the website shows.
    When a user enters the domain with www. before the domain name, the website does not show and gives a database connection error. Most probably the user is being served something else (most probably another domain with a database error).

Not sure how to troubleshoot this. Any suggestions?

I will look trough the log files later (this evening) and see what I can find there.

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Is the www. subdomain enabled for this web? Are the DNS records pointing to the correct server, both A and AAAA?

3. 30uke

1. Yes. The setting "Auto-Subdomain" is set to "www".
    2. No, there is a CNAME record in place: "www" points via CNAME to the domain name itself.
    Code:
    $ dig a www.frieslanddeuren.nl

; <<>> DiG 9.16.13-Debian <<>> a www.frieslanddeuren.nl
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 10416
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
    ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;www.frieslanddeuren.nl.        IN    A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    www.frieslanddeuren.nl.    2809    IN    CNAME    frieslanddeuren.nl.
    frieslanddeuren.nl.    2797    IN    A    136.144.206.44

;; Query time: 0 msec
    ;; SERVER: 172.16.0.254#53(172.16.0.254)
    ;; WHEN: do apr 15 16:05:19 CEST 2021
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 81

4. Th0m

That's alright as well. I do the same :)
    www.frieslanddeuren.nl redirect to frieslanddeuren.nl, which looks good to me. Is this a site that has a trouble?

5. 30uke

Yes, it does. It works for me, but some visitors complain. I did test this with another browser and for me this works absolutely fine. I guess it's a problem on their end but I am not sure yet. I think I might contact one of them and just check what's going on via TeamViewer or something like that. It's a bit odd.

6. Th0m

Visitors from several locations or only one network/computer? Maybe a caching problem?

7. 30uke

This has been resolved too. I figured this out by executing "tail -f other_vhosts_access.log" in console and parallel to that visiting the website - hitting F5 several times. I did notice another website was being queried (aha). What I did first is to switch off the website and switch in on again. That didn't help, so next I did open the web domain settings of the other website in ISPConfig. Low and behold: the IPv6 address was selected. After removing the IPv6 everything works like a charm.

8. Th0m

Ah, makes sense. I was testing from a IPv4 only network and so were you probably ;)

30uke likes this.