Alias DNS record

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by pzajda, Jul 4, 2021.

Tags:
  1. pzajda

pzajda Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello,

In this topic: https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/remove-alias-record.84609/ I read PowerDNS support alias records.

But reading the source code to learn how to install and configure it for ISPConfig, I read the following: "- This plugin does not support ALIAS records (supported only by MyDNS)."

I know MyDNS is not supported anymore.
    So is this comment still right for alias records with PowerDNS?
    I supose not, else alias records would not be proposed anymore but I prefer asking.

I think about switching to PowerDNS to be able to use alias records so I would like to be sure I will have the desired result :)

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

What is the business case for all that trouble just to be able to use alias redords?

3. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Not that I don't want alias record feature but I think cname would suffice in most cases as they work ultimately the same and we already have that in ISPConfig DNS server with Bind 9.

4. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

From the top of my head, this is not correct and PowerDNS supports ALIAS records. Where exactly did you read this?

Also, MyDNS isn't supported anymore.

5. pzajda

I read it in the source code: server/plugins-available/powerdns_plugin.inc.php
    Line 74, after database instructions.

CNAME don't allow to have another record using the same name and I would like to have a txt record for the same name.

6. Th0m

Create a TXT for the hostname you are referring to for your CNAME subdomain instead ;)

ahrasis likes this.
  7. pzajda

I did not think it would be the same result, in the case of a Google verification for example.

8. Th0m

It is :)

atle and pzajda like this.