all mails sent end up in yahoo/gmail SPAM folder

Discussion in 'General' started by cpcpy, Mar 1, 2006.

1. cpcpy

cpcpy New Member

i'm not sure whether this problem is the result of my configuration, or due to my ISP...

mails sent (either via shell, or POP3) to yahoo / gmail (and i bet hotmail too) ends up in their SPAM folder

the IP addresses i am using belonged to me for more than a year and i only use them recently (ie not likely to be "recycled")

any way i can check or do? :(

thanks

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Do you have static IP addresses?

Do you have proper PTR ("reverse") DNS records for your IP addresses?
    Do you have SPF records for your domains?
    Are your IP addresses on some spam blacklist?

3. cpcpy

cpcpy New Member

yes i'm using static IP address...

i do not have PTR/SPF records (but i have other boxes at another isp without PTR records) they have no such problem...
    btw, how do i set PTR / SPF? do i set from ISPConfig? set to what value?

i've checked against http://www.dnsstuff.com/ - no error except
    PTR test: "IPADDR has no reverse DNS entry; some mail servers may not accept your mail"

====================================

pls help me understand...

my main ISPConfig hostname is quatiseasia.com
    and MX is mail.quatiseasia.com

if i add a new domain using ISPConfig (eg newdomain.com) with same IP address as quatiseasia.com,

when i send OUT a mail from [email protected], the receipient mail server should be "talking" to mail.quatiseasia.com, or mail.newdomain.com ?

or does it matter?

thanks

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Check if your IP is not on a blacklist as falko suggested. A good starting point for this is http://www.spamcop.net

5. falko

Code:
    dig -x 203.81.39.42

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> -x 203.81.39.42
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 61294
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;42.39.81.203.in-addr.arpa.     IN      PTR

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    39.81.203.in-addr.arpa. 3600    IN      SOA     dns1.pacific.net.sg. hostmaster.pacific.net.sg. 1133150170 21600 1800 1209600 86400

;; Query time: 111 msec
    ;; SERVER: 145.253.2.75#53(145.253.2.75)
    ;; WHEN: Wed Mar  1 13:36:12 2006
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 109
    You don't have a PTR record for your IP address. You must create it on dns1.pacific.net.sg. Maybe it's a good idea to contact the owner of that server to help you with this issue.

6. cpcpy

cpcpy New Member

thanks - have asked my ISP to add a PTR record...

btw, do you have answer for my previous question?
    ==================================================
    pls help me understand...

my main ISPConfig hostname is quatiseasia.com
    and MX is mail.quatiseasia.com

if i add a new domain using ISPConfig (eg newdomain.com) with same IP address as quatiseasia.com,

when i send OUT a mail from [email protected], the receipient mail server should be "talking" to mail.quatiseasia.com, or mail.newdomain.com ?

or does it matter?

thanks
    ==================================================

7. falko

It doesn't matter, you can use any FQDN or even IP address that points to your server.

8. cpcpy

cpcpy New Member

i am suspecting that this may matter because for some reason, the email header at yahoo shows:
    =====================================
    Received: from 203.81.39.41 (EHLO mail.quatiseasia.com) (203.81.39.41) by mta126.mail.re2.yahoo.com with SMTP; Wed, 01 Mar 2006 19:24:04 -0800
    =====================================
    and the ip address of mail.quatiseasia.com is 203.81.39.42 - doesn't match 203.81.39.41 - and thus went straight into spam filter...

i've added a PTR record for 203.81.39.42 - maybe i need to wait for TTL of 24 hours before it will take effect and hopefully yahoo/hotmail will deliver my mails to inbox instead of junk mail folder!

lets hope for the best...

9. falko

I thought it was for sending emails...
    If 203.81.39.41 and 203.81.39.42 are both on the same server, why don't you simply change mail.quatiseasia.com DNS record to point to 203.81.39.41?

10. cpcpy

cpcpy New Member

yes both are the same box - i'd prefer to change the IP to 42 rather than change DNS record

.42 is suppose to be my main IP and also my ispconfig ip

wonder why is it that .41 is seen by the remote server when i initiate a connection from my box to a remote server?

is it because 41 < 42 ?

is there something i can do so that .42 will be used ?

11. falko

You can play around with inet_interfaces in /etc/postfix/main.cf (don't forget to restart Postfix after changes).

12. cpcpy

cpcpy New Member

seems like inet_interfaces affect INCOMING emails...

my problem is with outgoing connections:

eg if i do a:
    telnet remoteexample.com 25
    > helo remoteexample.com

i get something like:
    250 remoteexample.com Hello [203.81.39.41], pleased to meet you

seems like it is an OS or networking issue...

the question is that if i have multiple IP addresses in my server, when i connect outwords (whatever the service - mail/ftp etc, does it mean that the smallest ip address will always be seen by the remote server?)

thanks

13. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I had a similar problem some weeks ago. Postfix is using the last IP that is configured in your network configuration, not the first as one might guess. The solution is to enter this directive to your postfix main.cf and restart postfix:

smtp_bind_address = 192.168.0.1

Of course replace the IP with the correct one ;)

14. cpcpy

cpcpy New Member

this seems to work...
    however even my "correct" ipaddress 203.81.39.42 is used:
    yahoo and hotmail are still treating the email as SPAM...

Code:
    X-YahooFilteredBulk: 203.81.39.42 
    X-Originating-IP: [203.81.39.42] 
    Return-Path: <[email protected]> 
    Authentication-Results: mta329.mail.mud.yahoo.com from=quatiseasia.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig) 
    Received: from 203.81.39.42 (EHLO mail.quatiseasia.com) (203.81.39.42) by mta329.mail.mud.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sun, 05 Mar 2006 23:22:06 -0800 
    Received: from quatiseasia.com (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]) (using TLSv1 with cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by mail.quatiseasia.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id EAC011A60419 for <[email protected]>; Mon, 6 Mar 2006 15:18:49 +0800 (SGT) 

what else can i do?
    check with yahoo?
    or my ISP?

i was assigned this ip address (unused until now) since 2 years ago - it is unlikely that the IP address has been involved in any spamming activity

15. falko

Nevertheless I'd check the known spam blacklists.
    Also make sure you have proper PTR and SPF records for your domain. And it might not be a bad idea to ask Yahoo why this happens. :)

16. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006