all my email from vps setup with ispconfig 3, ubuntu 16.04 ends up in spam on google and hotmail.

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by osas Oribhabor, Jul 13, 2018.

1. osas Oribhabor

osas Oribhabor New Member

hello.. please i have a very pressing issue.. my vps is installed on ubuntu 16.04 and i use ispconfig 3. i have set spf, dkim mx record and everything seem to be in place. i also checked if my ip is blocked its not.. but all my mails for some reasons ends up in spam folder.. i actually think the problem originates from maybe my postfix configuration because i was previously using vesta cp and the mails where fine (going directly to inbox).

please any help troubleshooting and fixing the issue would be much appreciated thanks...

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

what does the mail that ends up in spamfolder look like? Maybe it has headers or the filter writes why it is spam?
    What is the postfix configuration?
    How have you determined this?

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which mail client did you use for the test? If you were using webmail client like RoundCube, then do the test again with a desktop client like Thunderbird.

4. osas Oribhabor

yes i use roundcube. please how exactly do i do a test with thunderbird?

5. till

Install Thunderbird on your desktop if you have no mail client installed yet, or use your installed desktop mail client, no matter if you use Outlook, apple mail etc. In this desktop mail client, you add a new mailbox by using the email account details of the account that you setup in ISPConfig and then use that desktop mail client to send a test email.

6. osas Oribhabor

i use the mx lookup tools at https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=mx:o2developer.com&run=toolpage#
    the mails
    the emails most definitely do not contain any spam words.. they are simple test mail i sent to my gmail account (for example the subject: test mail. body: testing the mail delivery).

7. osas Oribhabor

ok thanks... let me give it a try now.

8. till

Many email systems report emails with such a subject as spam, when this adds up with other factors like that your mail system IP might not be a 'known good' mail IP yet, then emails can end up as spam. Try to use a 'normal' email with some text and a normal subject for testing. E.g. use the text and subject of another email that you send to a friend or business email as test email content.

9. osas Oribhabor

alright i will give it a try too.. i also noticed while i try to connect my mail to thunderbird or my gmail for my mobile, i usually cant use STARTTLS or SSL/TLS to connect.. i get an error that my certificate is invalid.. so am usually forced to chose no encryption (None).. is there a way i can add ssl to my mail server, could this be the cause?

10. osas Oribhabor

thanks alot Till, i sent a real mail from roundcube and it worked perfectly!! stright to the inbox... thanks once again,,

11. till