Allow and disallow the usage of ftp

Discussion in 'General' started by tom, Nov 7, 2006.

1. tom

tom Member

How does ISPconfig manage the right from users to allow or disallow ftp access?

I was looking for .ftpacces files but I could not find one. There is /etc/proftpd_ispconfig.conf and /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/proftpd_ispconfig.conf.master but I don't understand the concep. There is only one virtual host for proftp. But where is defined which user is allowed to habe acces to ftp?
    FTP users are system users ok. Does ftp ask pam? how it is working?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Proftpd authenticates against PAM. If FTP is allowed or not is managed by the Shall that the user has. Have a look at /etc/passwd and compare a user with FTP access and one without FTP accesss.

3. tom

tom Member

ok.

How can I give users specific rights of the usage of ftp and why there is only one virtual host directoy for proftp? Only by putting a .ftpaccess file in a user dir for example in /var/www/www.x-x.de/user/web1_admin?

Another question:
    I using xen. ispconfig in running in domU with the ip 10.0.1.1. The dom0 is having a public ip. There is the virtual host with the following as default.
    In my situation proftp is much faster giving the connection to an client by using this “DefaultAddress 10.0.1.1” and even tls is only working whith “DefaultAddress 10.0.1.1”.

But with that config:
    proftp says during it stats:
    .. - warning: "ProFTPD" address/port (10.0.1.1:21) already in use by "x-x"
    But why I have to see this warning?

Where are the rights of usage os mysql handled?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  4. fobicodam

fobicodam New Member

Can i ask you something? are you using ispconfig? if your answer is yes, then why are you messing with that files and rights? you can handle almost anything from the interface, if your answer is no, then i believe you must go to some linux specific forum, dont you think so?

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

They are controlled by the mysql.user and mysql.db tables.