Allow same write permission as client1?

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by JohnnyBeGood, May 6, 2015.

1. JohnnyBeGood

JohnnyBeGood Member

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out for quite some time but no luck.
    I want be able to give user debian-transmission same write permission as client1 has because I want debian-transmission be able to write to /var/www/clients/client1/web12/private/newdirectory
    What ever I tried it says that user does not have permission.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Don't want to include debian-transmission to group www-data due to security issues?
    Thanks!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

the only way to give hime write permissions is to make it a alias user of web1. a alias user is a user that shares the same numeric userid in /etc/passwd then the main (web1) user. ISPConfig uses alias users e.g. for the additional shell users of the websites.

3. JohnnyBeGood

JohnnyBeGood Member

Thanks for the reply!
    If I understood you correctly in Webmin that would look something like in attached image?

Attached Files:

4. till

No, the relevant field is UserID. This ID has to be the same for the web1 user and your additional user.

5. JohnnyBeGood

JohnnyBeGood Member

I tried to find information online that explains this and closest I found is this:
    4.1.2 Multiple Accounts with the Same UID http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/networking/puis/ch04_01.htm
    In my case if /etc/passwd currently has this web1:x:5004:5005::/var/www/clients/client1/web1:/bin/false than user debian-transmission should currently instead of debian-transmission:x:128:137::/home/debian-transmission:/bin/false
    have
    debian-transmission:x:5004:5005::/home/debian-transmission:/bin/false ?

6. till

Yes. But why do you use a user debian-transmission for yur other application instead of running it as web1? If you need a second ssh user for a website, then better create one in ispconfig for that site. When debian-transmission is a debian system user, then changing its uid will likely break the software that is currently running under this user.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  7. JohnnyBeGood

JohnnyBeGood Member

All I want is to be able to connect using FTP account to this /var/www/clients/client1/web12/private/newdirectory and of course transmission-daemon (transmissionbt) be able to write to that directory as well. Do you have better approach? can you give me example?

8. till

Then you should run run the transmission daemin as web1 user instead of user debian-transmission.

9. JohnnyBeGood

JohnnyBeGood Member

Thanks for the hint about running as transmission-daemon. Under list of users I do not have transmission-daemon as a user, only debian-transmission which is user created by GUI desktop version of transmissionBT (I think).
    I think that's my problem, how do I tell system to run transmission-daemon as web1 user when it doesn't exist?

10. till

11. JohnnyBeGood

JohnnyBeGood Member

Thanks for the links!
    In case someone runs into same issue I solved it but adding client1 to debian-transmission group.

Attached Files: