alright i look and read alot

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by darkmdbeener, Jun 14, 2007.

1. darkmdbeener

darkmdbeener New Member

to shorten the story. my friends windows xp fu!@ed up and i said why dont you try out linux. so well im downloading fedora right now. but so he can have an operating system i installed phlak. well i need to know how to set up a virtural machine if his windows would never boot up because he love photoshope. and i also need to be able to get his wireless set up he has a linksys usb wusb54g ver.4 so that he can go wireless <wel duh. if anymore details are needed please ask

oh and im new to linux also so i am lost compleatly as of what to do
    thanks in advance

2. darkmdbeener

darkmdbeener New Member

his computer is totally messed up ive read the perfact desktop fedora. and all i need to know is how my friend can use windows fi he doesnt have a way of useing the vitrual machine. can i make a virtual machine with my cp and let him use it. if so that wouldnt mess up anything on my xp would it.

and what where and how do i get the right drivers installed for the wireless thingy i realy need help

3. aqua

aqua New Member

I am a debian guy, so I will suggest Ubuntu. Ubuntu releases a new version every six months or so, and has awsome driver support. The wireless card may very will be supported.

Try the livecd from ubuntu, which you can run directly from the cd to try out, and it won't touch your harddrive. Boot up the cd, and you can check to see if the wireless is recognized.

If you want xp and linux on the same computer, and want xp to run at native speeds, virutualization might a be a bit slow. What i would recommend is that he dual boot, meaning xp and ubuntu live on the same computer.

This is easy to do, first install xp. Then install ubuntu. Ubuntu will resize your harddrive and make space for itself, while keeping windows there.

When the computer boots, it will give you the option of either booting linux or xp.

hope that helps
    aqua

4. darkmdbeener

darkmdbeener New Member

ok well i just installed fedora, and he doesnt have windows xp disk. so... oh well the ? is how do you install the ndswrapper i cant really install it by following the instructions. and is ubuntu better. can you tell me how. basicly he only wants the internet he has a linksys g wusb54g v 4 th chip set is rtl8180 i think i just pulled it from anoghter web site. thanks in advance

5. darkmdbeener

darkmdbeener New Member

i dont know but it seems as i have to connect to the internet. but he doesnt have anything but a wireless usb no ethernet cables exept the ones one the modem in such. plus i cant go buy one because it like 12 and im out of gas.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Ubuntu has a better hardware support than Fedora, so I'd suggest to try Ubuntu.

7. darkmdbeener

darkmdbeener New Member

unbuntu was already supposed to have ndswrapper installl but i cant find it. so now the ? is how do you install ndswrapper on the fedora witout being conected to the internet?
    thanks

8. darkmdbeener

darkmdbeener New Member

alright i finally was able to run make distclean, make, and make install. everything went well. but now i when i type ndiswrapper nothin says no such cammand file

9. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Please install ndiswrapper like this:
    Code:
    apt-get install ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils