Alright, i'm almost ready to give up on the following:

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Rein van 't Veer, Jun 1, 2016.

1. I have a new customer that has a bit a of an unusual setup. He used to work on a directadmin setup with the following structure:

/home/user/hisownframework/public

the domains in directadmin are created as:

/home/user/domains/domain1.tld/public
    /home/user/domains/domain2.tld/public

As he is using his own framework for all his sites he created the following symlinks:

/home/user/domains/domain1.tld/public --> /home/user/hisownframework/public
    /home/user/domains/domain2.tld/public --> /home/user/hisownframework/public

The same with some subdomains, but not all (some subdomains are just folders, others are symlinks again)
    /home/user/domains/domain1.tld/public/subdomain --> /home/user/hisownframework/public
    /home/user/domains/domain1.tld/public/subdomain

Is there any way I can migrate this to ISPConfig?

Within one domain things seem easy enough. But as soon as I saw a symlink from domain2.tld to the same main framework my hopes started to diminish fast

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The problem is that ispconfig uses a more secure setup where each website is separated from other sites by assigning each site a different Linux user.

Either you disable suexec by using mod_php PHP mode so that PHP in both sites runs as www-data user. That's not secure but allows access from both sites to another website. and you might have to change the owner of the "web" directory manually to the apache (www-data) user and group.

Another option is to use the ISPConfig 3.1 beta which allows you to create 2 sites under the same user as a vhost alias domain. This option has to be enabled under System > Interface config.

3. is the 3.1 ready for production? I've got about 250 websites running already with php-fpm, and I prefer not to disable suexec in any way :). Security stays priority...
    also: i'm using multi-server setup (mail and web is separated) is that tested well enough with version 3.1?

4. found a different way to make it work, it's a bit of a hassle, but it seems to do the trick ;-)