always_bcc to another user on same box. Loops...

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by friday, Nov 16, 2006.

1. friday

friday Member

One of our clients has requested all incoming/outgoing emails to be copied to another account for use in any parent/teacher conflicts.

Searching for a ways to do this, I came across the always_bcc option. This works, but not exactly too smooth.

On my test box at home, I have a user named timmy, another named naughty. [email protected] has been used in the command:
    always_bcc = [email protected]

So, if I send an email (subject "test") from a remote email site (ameritech) to [email protected], [email protected] gets a surprise. His email box becomes instantly flooded with mailsize message, and a few "test" emails. Unless I issue a command to stop postfix, this email looping for "naughty" would probably go until the box runs out of diskspace.

So, my question is, how do I properly use an always_bcc command to forward emails to another user on the same box and not run into an email forwarding loop.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

3. friday

friday Member

What the client has asked for is to copy all outgoing and incoming emails to a particular account. The instructions above, I'm assuming, are for incoming emails only.

If it were incoming emails only, we would be all set. But, the trouble is that we need to bcc all outgoing emails too. As much as I have tried, it seems that I can't stop the email forwarding from happening by using an always_bcc to another local account. There must be something I'm missing.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

To stop these mailsize mails, you must comment out the line
    Code:
    INCLUDERC={PMDIR}/.mailsize.rc
    in /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/procmailrc.master as well as in all existing .procmailrc files which you can find in each user's homedir. But then the mailstatistics in ISPConfig will be wrong.

5. friday

friday Member

Thanks!! It worked great!!

I did what you asked, and it worked great. Then, I was able to uncomment the /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/procmail.master's mailsize entry, and only comment the "naughty" user's .procmailrc file. Rebooted (I dont know what command to issue for changes to the mailsize entries), and it worked great.

I appreciate your help on this, big time!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006