amavis not reading config file

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by roymullinsjr716, Aug 29, 2022.

Tags:
  1. roymullinsjr716

roymullinsjr716 New Member

i am trying to install ispconfig on a new ubuntu machine (Desktop 20.04LTS) using the guide that you provide. Everything goes good up to the amavis installation, even with the fqdn in rhe file i get the following message

Aug 28 18:48:15 securesystem amavis[2483]: Starting amavisd:
    Aug 28 18:48:15 securesystem amavis[2490]: The value of variable $myhostname is "", but should have been
    Aug 28 18:48:15 securesystem amavis[2490]: a fully qualified domain name; perhaps uname(3) did not provide such.
    Aug 28 18:48:15 securesystem amavis[2490]: You must explicitly assign a FQDN of this host to variable $myhostname
    Aug 28 18:48:15 securesystem amavis[2490]: in /etc/amavis/conf.d/05-node_id, or fix what uname(3) provides as a host's
    Aug 28 18:48:15 securesystem amavis[2490]: network name!
    Aug 28 18:48:15 securesystem amavis[2483]: (failed).

the contents of /etc/amavis/conf.d/05-node_id are as follows

use strict;

# $myhostname is used by amavisd-new for node identification, and it is
    # important to get it right (e.g. for ESMTP EHLO, loop detection, and so on).

chomp($myhostname = `hostname --fqdn`);

# To manually set $myhostname, edit the following line with the correct Fully
    # Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) and remove the # at the beginning of the line.
    #
    $myhostname = "secureserver.mullinsnet.us";

1; # ensure a defined return

what would cause this and how do i fix it

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Which guide exactly?
    What show commands
    Code:
    hostname
    hostname -f
    If you do not want to reveal the hostname on this forum, refer to the guide in the parts about setting hostname.