an oddity with LE - actually two of them...

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by craig baker, Sep 27, 2023.

1. craig baker

craig baker Member HowtoForge Supporter

I added a website to one of my servers, with the auto-www subdomain.
    LE issed the cert but ONLY to the main domain - not www!
    the acme.log had:
    23] Reload success
    [Tue Sep 26 14:17:03 EDT 2023] LE_WORKING_DIR='/root/.acme.sh'
    [Tue Sep 26 14:17:03 EDT 2023] Running cmd: issue
    [Tue Sep 26 14:17:03 EDT 2023] _main_domain='nechtanmarketing.com'
    [Tue Sep 26 14:17:03 EDT 2023] _alt_domains='no'
    [Tue Sep 26 14:17:03 EDT 2023] Using config home:/root/.acme.sh

so why is alt_domains='no'? I had www saved!
    Also I got a notification from LE about another site needing renewal.
    I unchecked LE/SSL on that site, waited, and then checked them again and waited.
    checked the SSL - was it not supposed to issue a new cert in this process? it gave the same dates as before (august in fact).
    oddities!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Then the www subdomain does likely not point to the server and non existing subdomains must be excluded as bo cert will get issued otherwise. See Let's encrypt error FAQ, it's all covered there how to find out why LE refuses to include the subdomain.

https://forum.howtoforge.com/threads/lets-encrypt-error-faq.74179/

3. craig baker

weirder. I just unchecked the ssl boxes, saved, waited, checked the same boxes again saved waited - and now the cert has both.
    nothing else changed!
    seems the process is a bit temperamental!

4. till

This typically just means that the www subdomain did not point to the new server at the time you first tried it and now, it points to the server. That's why the subdomain is now included in the cert.

5. craig baker

just noticed something else - my server rebooted and I got a slew of named messages:
    ep 27 12:00:27 ns10 named[2209]: /var/named/pri.nardiashouse.com.signed:10: signature has expired
    Sep 27 12:00:27 ns10 named[2209]: /var/named/pri.contractorsadvisor.net.signed:10: signature has expired
    Sep 27 12:00:27 ns10 named[2209]: /var/named/pri.moleculepharm.com.signed:10: signature has expired
    Sep 27 12:00:27 ns10 named[2209]: /var/named/pri.pinnaclehealthcaredmv.com.signed:10: signature has expired
    Sep 27 12:00:27 ns10 named[2209]: /var/named/pri.waterservices-md.com.signed:10: signature has expired

hmm. anything to be concerned about? geez my week keeps getting stranger!
    thanks till.

6. till

is this a new server yu have set up, or an old one, or is it a system you migrated recently?

7. craig baker

its an old well established one! and I intend to migrate it to ns11 the newer one! LOL
    and btw I was just setting up migtool and I'm getting:

[ERROR] API call to login failed. See log file for details.
    Could not connect to api. Please check if the data you provided is correct.

I seem to remember this was something to with with SSL connection from years ago and I had to give migration a parameter?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
  8. till

Ok, then it seems as if the key renewal for the DNSSEC keys failed. Which ISPConfig version do you use and is the cron.sh cronjob in the root crontab active?

9. craig baker

ispconfig should be newest.
    * * * * * /usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh 2>&1 | while read line; do echo `/bin/date` "$line" >> /var/log/ispconfig/cron.log; done
    * * * * * /usr/local/ispconfig/server/cron.sh 2>&1 | while read line; do echo `/bin/date` "$line" >> /var/log/ispconfig/cron.log; done
    30 23 * * * /usr/local/ispconfig/server/scripts/handle_mailbox_soft_deleted.sh &> /dev/null
    seems to be. and one other migration question - on ns10 we are using letsencrypt/certbot. ns11 is acme. problem??

10. till

Is this only a name server, or do you run other services there? For a DNS server, the LE client does not matter as it is not used for DNS.

11. craig baker

I run lots of services on both. and LOL I just remembered I set up google authenticator for ssh access. I suspect migration wont like that.
    host lots of websites email etc...

12. till

This looks fine so far. Try to change a setting in an affected zone and save it to see if this solve the issue for that zone.

13. till

Then old and new system should use the same LE client, or you would lose all certs during migration as acme.sh can not import certs from certbot and vice versa.

14. craig baker

... and google authenticator LOL? guess I have to try and disable that at least temporarily...
    losing all the certs just means I have to go website by website and recheck the boxes? or things detonate?
    how about the certs linked to ftp etc. those stay unaffected?

15. till

Quite likely.

Correct, but DNS must be pointed to the new system upfront, otherwise LE will not issue a cert.

That#s the system wide cert, it gets created at the time you install ISPConfig. So it does not change during migration.

16. craig baker

I dont guess there is any way to convert from certbot to acme before we do the migration? (hoping)

17. till

Do you have any websites on the server already? or is it just an empty system with ISPConfig installed?

18. craig baker

I have a couple up. mainly to test everything is working!

19. craig baker

ack ack just noticed my isppscan is failing;
    Fatal error: SourceGuardian Incompatible loader version. This protected script was encoded with a newer version of SourceGuardian. Please download and install the <A HREF="https://www.sourceguardian.com/loaders">latest loaders</A>. Error code [19] in /usr/local/ispprotect/ispp_scan.php on line 2

20. till

Delete the loader file in /usr/local/ispprotect/loader/ and ISPprotect will download a new version on its own.