Anonymous FTP through Browser

Discussion in 'General' started by byteme, Jun 2, 2006.

1. byteme

byteme New Member

I have Anonymous FTP set for my domain but I get "Server not found" when using IE or firefox using ftp://ftp.mydomainname.us/.

Using a ftp client, such as cuteftp pro set to Anonymous and log in I get what looks like a root directory and subdirectory called incoming but even using cuteftpro I access is denied to either directory.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Does ftp.mydomainname.us exist in DNS?

Any erros in the logs? What are the permissions of these directories?

3. byteme

byteme New Member

yes it is. Within the domain I alowed for anonymous ftp so I am assuming it should be ok. I would expect another type of error I would think if permissions were wrong. Where do I look in the log files? I am new to this a felt pretty good as I got everything else running without asking questions here here thanks to this great forum.

Second question is there a way to set webmail for the domain without SSL?

4. byteme

byteme New Member

falco

OK I got the books out and found the logfile for ftp.
    FTP is working and so ia Anonymous but only when using a client such as cute ftp. I still cannot use either IE nor firefox, they both just set there trying to load the page.

5. falko

Do you use the correct protocol in your web browser? It must be ftp:// instead of http://

They usually are in /var/log.

Either install ISPConfig without https, or create a web site in ISPConfig and put your favourite webmail application into it (such as Squirrelmail, Uebimiau, ...).

6. byteme

byteme New Member

Yes I am using the correct syntax in the browser.
    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/ will bring up the microsoft site.
    ftp://ftp.djmiller.us/ just hangs. give it a shot.

No entries in the log file for browser connections.
    Entries are made and everything works properly when using an ftp client such as cuteftp or fireftp plugin for firefox.

7. falko

I've tried with WS_FTP, and that works, but not with Firefox... But I don't know why... :confused: