another quota question...

Discussion in 'General' started by Ovidiu, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I got the following mail:

My situation is the following: This user is the admin of a site which has 5GB allocated, when I created his user account I gave him 50 MB thinking if he needs more he can allocate it himself.
    My question now is this: he is using the shell access (I guess using sftp) to transfer his huge website (lots of photos) to my server, but when he is copying files they will belong to the following owner: web19_tibi:web19 (which is normal) but does this mean I will always get warnings that he exceeded his quota? Do you have to set the quota of the administrator equal to the quota of the site itself?
    How does quota work?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes.

Not necessarily, but you have to keep in mind that it's the admin who uploads all the files to the web folder so he should get a reasonable quota. If your web site has a quote of 5 GB, then I'd give the admin at least 500 MB.

3. danf.1979

danf.1979 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Wouldnt be better a 1:1 ratio? For example if the site has 20MB, and the admin only 15MB, how could ever the site use all the 20MB? And I'm talking about sites with no users, only 1 admin.

4. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

you are right, the site I was talking about needs this.
    only the admin will be uploading stuff.

btw. if I give the admin a "-1" as space quota does that mean he can use up to the max size of the space allocated to his site or really unlimited space?

5. falko

If a web site has only the admin user, then it sure makes sense to give the admin the same quota than the web site. But if you have more than one user, you should also give the other users some web space which decreases the space you can give to the admin.

6. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

well yes, but would this scenario work:

site: 50 MB
    admin: -1
    user1: 10MB

would that allocate 10 MB to the user and 50MB-x= to the admin? x meaning whatever the user does not use, so if the admin imediately takes up 45MB the user would only have 5 MB ?

Of course these users would be the only ones on this site.

7. danf.1979

I really dont think so. Maybe if user completes 10MB early in his life, all would be ok. But there is no way to assure those 10MB for him if admin has no quota limits... Am I right?

8. falko

The admin user would have unlimited space, but he belongs to the web group, and that group has only 50 MB. So if the admin user uses FTP to upload files, the files will belong to him and the web group, and therefore he cannot exceed the web group quota. If user1 has used 10 MB so far, that would be 40 MB.

9. danf.1979

So if the user has 10MB, the sistem protects them from being used by someone who has no quota? I havent test it, but it seems reasonable.

10. falko

If the admin user (in our example) with no quota uses 50 MB, then there's no more space left for user1 with 10 MB because both users belong to the same group, and the group has a quota of 50 MB.
    So it is a good idea to give everyone a reasonable quota.