Anti-Spam Mail-Edge-Host with ISPconfig

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by KoS, Nov 5, 2018.

1. KoS

KoS Member HowtoForge Supporter

I would like to add some "frontend" spam-mail-scan-servers before the final ISPconfig mail host. What is the right way to do this with ISPconfig? I haven't found any documentation/howto on it and maybe somebody has experience with such a setup? Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Why do you want to do that? ISPConfig is often used as anti-spam host for MS Exchange servers, so why do you want to add a second server in front of ISPConfig when ISPConfig has already all spam filtering capabilities on board and is even used for other systems as spam filter server?

3. KoS

KoS Member HowtoForge Supporter

Maybe my explanation is not detailed enough. For availbility and loadbalancing i want to move the anti-spam/anti-virus part from the main mail server and have the "edge" servers do the work, where I can easily add additional servers, without having to touch the main one that has all the mailboxes. does that make more sense now?

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have been examining ScrolloutF1, http://www.scrolloutf1.com/, but have not tried it yet. Frankly there has been no real need, my mail servers do not get such loads that offloading anything would be worthwile.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

@KoS: This makes sense of course :) Basically, you can add a scan solution in front of your ispconfig server or you can offload scanning by putting the amavis instances on other servers and let postfix forward the incoming email to the remote amavis instance instead of using the local one. I have not tried such a setup yet but it should be possible.