Any plans for ispconfig to support CentOS Stream?

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by pvanthony, Dec 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. pvanthony

pvanthony Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Just wondering if ispconfig plans to support CentOS Stream?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, it will be most likely supported together with AlmaLinux and Rocky Linux.

3. pvanthony

Cool!!!
    Just to clarify, AlmaLinux and Rocky Linux are the same as CentOS 8.
    CentOS Stream is slightly different from my understanding. Would it be a problem?
    Actually I like the CentOS Stream idea because the impression I get is that the packages are newer and maybe more secure.
    Please let me know if my understanding is correct.
    If ispconfig is going to support CentOS Stream, then I will convert my server from CentOS 8 to CentOS Stream.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Correct, both are basically successors of CentOS 8 which means they are a free RHEL Clone.

That's something which me might have to see in future. As long as CentOS streams stays compatible with RHEL in terms of how the OS is configured (config file locations etc.) then it should work. Only potential problem might be that software might be too new sometimes, but we'll have to see how it goes.

They are newer, yes. But I'm not sure if I would conclude from that that they are more secure, most likely CentOS Stream will be less stable and I doubt that it will be more secure as packages in the RHEL clones like CentOS 8, Alma and Rocky Linux) might be older, but they get patched for security issues, means that they are not insecure just because they are old. Using always latest software on the other hand might even introduce new issues beside fixing old ones. In the end, we probably have to wait some time to see how stable CentOS Stream will be in the end in real-world installations. Btw. A so called rolling release is available in Debian too, but there they named the rolling release branch 'testing' :)

pvanthony likes this.
  5. pvanthony

This reply has been very informative and most importantly helpful for me to make a decision.
    Thank you for helping with the reply.