Anyone working with a Linux desktop and a Macbook on the road?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by TokiyoRio, Sep 9, 2019.

1. TokiyoRio

TokiyoRio New Member

I have always switched my Operating Systems, but for 10 years I'm stuck at macOS. For several reasons (more flexible desktop hardware, some projects where Linux is better suited) I intend to switch back to Linux on the desktop, but will continue to use a Macbook on the road (and on the couch *g*). I'm mainly doing development work, from web development (Node, PHP) to cross-platform application development with Qt. And some occasional machine learning projects, mostly with Python.

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I know Debian developers who have installed Debian GNU/Linux on their macbook.

3. Steini86

Steini86 Active Member

Do you want to use Linux on your Desktop PC and MacOS on your notebook? This works, what is the question?
    Or do you want to use Linux on your Apple notebook? (I don't see a reason for that and I would rather use a virtual machine for that)

At home and at work, we have a Linux environment but the administration is a Microsoft world. I love my macbook here as a good compromise between these two. It can do most of the things of both worlds (Microsoft Office/Word/Powerpoint; Mounts NFS/SAMBA drives, ZSH, screen, Python, etc...). Works like a charm (most of the time). (As a bonus, IgorPro runs natively on MacOS which is not available for Linux)