Anyway to block sasl logins external on only port 25?

Discussion in 'General' started by friday, May 17, 2016.

1. friday

friday Member

I'm embarrassed to say that I'm still using ISPConfig2. It's for one client with multiple locations and businesses.
    So, many years ago, they setup a few generic accounts, lets call them newcars@domain and usedcars@comain
    Well last week, newcars@domain got compromised. Apparently, a weak password. A more complexed password was given, then 150k+ emails removed from the queue. And then a few hours getting them delisted.
    And then today, usedcars@domain was compromised. Same procedure, more complexed password, delete queue, and then start pitching the RBL providers.

Well, then the questions start:
    "Hey email administrator, do something to keep this from happening" and "why did this happen? Do we need someone else to do your job?".
    Frankly, I've love to give up email administration. But, that ain't happening. Part of my job, apparently.
    So, I disabled all SASL logins in main.cf, and only opened up email from permitted networks. Then the calls come in "But, I need to email from my phone remotely" and "I don't wanna use a VPN" and "can you only block spammers?"

And the email filtering system, Spam Titan, is completely worthless to stop this. At least with ASSP, I can block Smtp auth requests on port 25, and force users to use 588 (NAT'd to 587). But this client has paid the money for Spam Titan and my bosses think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

So, how in the heck do I stop users from authentication and relaying mail on port 25? I'd love a way to deny SASL logins on port 25, but give mobile users a way to authenticate and relay on other ports, like 588 above.
    Any thoughts?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Do you have fail2ban installed? If no, install it. If yes, check if it works correctly and kicks in when someone tries to use a wrong password more than the max. retries defined in fail2ban config. This should solve your issues without the need to close any ports.

3. friday

friday Member

Here's the funny part. The email server still runs Dapper.
    Ubuntu 6.0.6
    Weren't CRT monitors monochrome back then too?
    I'll be scouring the internet for a dapper deb of this. Gonna be a long night. Might need more than a liter of beer.
    In the meantime, I'll have sales pitch them for a new email server.