Apache module overrides?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Entangled, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Entangled

Entangled Member

Hello,

I just upgraded from 3.0.x to 3.1.x taking all the default replies except for the 'yes' on one slave.

Now all my overrides gone which I just realized. How do I tell the CP what my overrides should be so I don't have to go through this nightmare of hand editing again?

For example:
    /etc/apache/mods-availabel/fcgi.conf

I need be MaxRequestLen 2147482548 (2GB) not MaxRequestLen 15728640

Thank you.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Where did you add your custom config? If you add custom config to your own config file or in a system file that is not managed by ispconfig, then ispconfig won't touch it. If you add it to a config file that is managed by ispconfig like the ispconfig.conf file, then you have to create a custom template and stire it in conf-custom/install/ to make your config changes update safe.

3. Entangled

Entangled Member

Till,

Thanks for the reply.

I have hand edited /etc/apache2/mods-available/fcgi.conf on each server. I have also changed /etc/php5/.../php.ini on each server too.

Is this "override" stuff in the manual 3.x which I purchased years ago? If not, is it in the 3.1 manual? I am not really up (knowledgeable) on how to "override" config files within ISPConfig so future updates don't "kill" my changes.

I do understand the concept and do use WP Child Themes for just this purpose.

Looking into this, I got /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf-custom/install/ on the servers. Do I simply create an /apache2/mods-available/ folder and put my changed fcgi.conf file in it or is it more involved than that?

Thanks again,

Craig

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The gist of it is to find the default file under conf/ then copy it to the same path under conf-custom/ and make your changes. Files which belong under the conf-custom/install/ directory actually come from the ispconfig installation tarball (you won't find them under /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf/...).

But I don't see an fcgid.conf at all there, on my system (debian 8) it's installed from libapache2-mod-fcgid and don't believe ispconfig changes it at all:
    Code:
    # dpkg -S /etc/apache2/mods-available/fcgid.conf 
    libapache2-mod-fcgid: /etc/apache2/mods-available/fcgid.conf

Did you also update OS versions or at least update packages at the same time you updated ispconfig?

5. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I am not sure either whether conf-custom folder may reinstall your fcgid.conf apache module upon an update of ISPC or that ISPC update is the one overriding that file of yours. But one thing for sure, you should also keep a backup of your server and use it to restore if necessary. This even if you did a backup in conf-custom folder.

Luckily, you can also check ISPC backup if you choose it during your update. You can choose to restore only those folder that you want for example /etc/apache2/mods-available/ and /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/. Do check the this if it helps on extracting specific folders. To be safe, you can always attempt to copy and test extracting the backup file inside /tmp.

6. Entangled

Entangled Member

I am running Wheezy and Jessie on all ISPConfig controlled servers. Previous to 3.1.2, I was running 3.0.5P8/9. Under Monitor all servers show Green so I will assume all the packages were update. I Do OS-Update regularly.

Oh, the ISPConfig update changed some config files. I did the update on Apr 22 and here's the results:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 115 Apr 22 14:58 /etc/apache2/mods-available/fcgid.conf
    MaxRequestLen 15728640

I am finally going to setup my overrides correctly so I don't have this "nightmare" again on the next ISPConfig update.