Apache strange behavior

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Tomislav Aurednik, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Tomislav Aurednik

Tomislav Aurednik Member HowtoForge Supporter

- created new site in ispconfig
    - enabled Let's Encrypt certificate
    - website contains only index.php (not even .htaccess), FastCGI, no redirect http->https, nothing else special.
    - index contains only one background image, centered image and single H1

Most of the times site works well, but here and there (randomly) I receive "Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead". In address bar I see correct site name, but certificate is taken from some other site (something like first from the list). To clear this error just browser refresh (or two) is needed, then it may work for another 10-100 times ok, then mixed-up certificate again.
    I've lost last 3 days resolving this issue trying everything that came into my mind. When tested some other sites (on same server) I could not reproduce this error, only on some sites created recently. I suspected .vhost file, but after comparing problematic site with some other non-problematic I could not find any difference (except names and paths of course). Tested in Firefox, Chrome, Edge, PHP 7.0, 7.2, 8.1 - no difference.

Where should I start ?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Do you have the php chroot option enabled on the options tab of the site? If yes, try to disable that option and test again.

3. Tomislav Aurednik

I don't have this option - or am I missing something ?.

upload_2021-9-21_12-27-29.png

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, that#s fine. I missed that you are using fast-cgi and the option I mentioned is php-fpm only. Please check the domains dns e.g. at intodns.com to ensure that everything is ok, especially that all DNS servers are pointing it to the same IP so there is no split-brain situation.

5. Tomislav Aurednik

Everything ok except note, that dns servers are not in different subnet.

6. Tomislav Aurednik

And even stranger : here and there background image is not loaded. But when I check log files on server it was not even requested.
    If I inspect page source, there's a remark in CSS (hover) "Could not load a file". But file is definitely there.

7. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Your browser console might indicate the problem when the image doesn't load. Sounds like a dns issue at your end, not necessarily what the public internet sees for dns, if that all checks out.